Need advice...neighbor has 7 sulcata!?

mamckeeman

Hi folks...looking for advice. I've recently noticed that my new neighbor in a suburban subdivision has been working on what I thought was a landscape project in his backyard (I live in northern Indiana where it gets both very hot AND very cold). Then I noticed a dog kennel go up. Tonight my hubby was grilling and came in to tell me the kennel was making noise and moving. So I walked over to take a peek. There were SEVEN sulcata torts in the kennel...plus one other that seems to be a different species.

I am an animal lover of all kinds and have no issue with his choice in pets...but I am concerned for the animals. My understanding is that sulcata need a LOT of room...and the back yard of this house is MAYBE a tenth of an acre. Should I be concerned? Should I report it? Keep an eye on the progress? I'm not typically the nosy neighbor, but it was such an odd project in the only yard that isn't fenced behind us that it caught my attention.

Here are pics...
2pzmh4m.jpg

357f580.jpg
15q6po6.jpg
2w3x4sp.jpg

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
That is very little room for 10 sulcatas that size... I'm glad that you are concerned... You could try to talk to him and refer him to the forum... My yard is about twice that for a 10" Sulcata... I'm sure someone else will be here to issue more info soon!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is there any shade, shelter or water? What are the approximate dimensions of that enclosure? I can't tell from the pics.

I would not house them that way. I would not house sulcatas at all in Indiana, but I'm not ready to call that abuse in any way. We need to know quite a bit more.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hey, hey he just moved in right? Give him a little time to build a fence . Don't just hop on the I don't like this band waggon.

mamckeeman

Hi, Tom. The back yard is relatively shady. His house faces West, so for the morning at least it's fully shaded by the house. The enclosure is probably 8x8, and I would say the 8 occupants vary from 12-18" in diameter. No shelter...The top of the enclosure is fully open. No water inside the enclosure...just a bowl of what looked like store bought feed of some kind.

Mike, I know it's still a work in progress he is clearly heavily devoted to the project. He's been out messing with those tubs and plants nearly every evening for a couple of weeks. Looks like he might be curing driftwood in the tubs? I don't want to judge the guy. It looks like it will be a very handsome habitat when he's done. I'm more concerned about the current conditions of the animals and the amount of space they're going to legitimately require.

What should I be looking for? Is it possible that he fosters or does rescue? I have 11 animals myself (9 cats and 2 ferrets) because my husband and I foster and have continual change in the census. I just want the critters to be ok. :(

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Give him more time . In the mean time try to see if you can get to know this guy . You can give him the information he will need to find TFO . Education is better than prosecution. I'm glad you care help him learn is all i'm saying . Get him online talking to people like Tom .

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Give him more time . In the mean time try to see if you can get to know this guy . You can give him the information he will need to find TFO . Education is better than prosecution. I'm glad you care help him learn is all i'm saying . Get him online talking to people like Tom .

I think you should introduce yourself as his neighbor, and casually mention the sulcatas. Tell him what you know, and where you found out about their care i.e. The forum. Ask if he'd like to join and get tips from the experts here. This way, you will at least find out what he's planning and if he seems to know what they need. My observation from the pics is that these torts aren't getting enough hydration. There should be at least 4 saucers of water for all those torts. And there should be plenty of hiding spots for them to feel safe. It doesn't look like it, but those torts are stressed because of their new environment and lack of hiding spaces. What does he plan to do when winter comes? See if you can find out. Sulcatas need temps of 80 degrees and higher all year round! If they don't have heating and shelter during the winter, they could die from exposure to the cold and snow. You are right to worry; i know I am. But, talk to the guy, make friends with him, and offer suggestions based on what you know.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Those are not all Sulcatas...look at the first pic, the two right at the gate are not sulcata (while I would not practice this behavior it does not mean someone is a bad host).....also, the food in the dish is Mazuri, the fence along the bottom is covered, the enclosure is a strong one.....I would not be in this persons business....it is folks nosing around other folks yards without cause that create a bad situation for the tortoise.....

If a month or two from now those torts are in the same space and look bad then perhaps you go and abruptly introduce yourself...until then, perhaps not being nosey into someones yard would be the appropriate thing to practice....

turtlelou

5 Year Member
Those are not all Sulcatas...look at the first pic, the two right at the gate are not sulcata (while I would not practice this behavior it does not mean someone is a bad host).....also, the food in the dish is Mazuri, the fence along the bottom is covered, the enclosure is a strong one.....I would not be in this persons business....it is folks nosing around other folks yards without cause that create a bad situation for the tortoise.....

If a month or two from now those torts are in the same space and look bad then perhaps you go and abruptly introduce yourself...until then, perhaps not being nosey into someones yard would be the appropriate thing to practice....

I agree. Give him some time and see. I've worked on my enclosure for months now.
Hopefully he knows what he is doing lol. I do like the fact you are concerned, but I'd be mad if my neighbor was nosing around and taking pictures of my turtles lol. You should just be neighborly and talk to him about the torts instead of taking pictures of them though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He has recently moved into a new house and had to bring all his animals with him. You don't just wiggle your nose and have instant tortoise habitat. Give the guy a chance to do what's right. He's keeping his tortoises contained and safe from escape. He's working on the project every night after he gets home from work. Don't put him on the defensive. He's trying.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I agree. Give him some time and see. I've worked on my enclosure for months now.
Hopefully he knows what he is doing lol. I do like the fact you are concerned, but I'd be mad if my neighbor was nosing around and taking pictures of my turtles lol. You should just be neighborly and talk to him about the torts instead of taking pictures of them though.

The OP said in the beginning that there were other species with the sulcatas. If there are that many sulcatas, the OP has a right to know or be aware because sulcats burrow. They can burrow deep and go straight into the neighbors house foundation. Sulcatas can cause havoc on other peoples property especially if they have very little space between them. This OP is not only entitled to know what's going on, but should be supported here and given advice on how to protect these torts and his investment. I know I wouldn't want to find out that there are 5-7 sulcatas in my neighbors backyard especially knowing how much damage they can cause with their deep underground burrowing. If the neighbor is building some kind of enclosure other than a strong fence, that would be fine. But, if it's just as we see in the pics, I would be worried! it's not being nosey; it's being prudent!

mikeh

5 Year Member
I would make friends with the neighbor. I am sure he will be thrilled to share his passion with another animal lover. A good conversation about his animals, knowledge and plans may put you at ease.

The two dark ones are Manouria Emys (black or brown). I hope this is just temp enclosure while he builds the permanent set up. They need an opposite environment that of a sulcata.
If he had the Manouria for a while then he knows what he is doing. They look great at least from the distant photo. However they do require heavily shaded area and water. Midday sun with no adequate shade is a quick death sentence for these guys. If they have no shade I would nicely mention this one crucial detail.

Last edited:

turtlelou

5 Year Member
The OP said in the beginning that there were other species with the sulcatas. If there are that many sulcatas, the OP has a right to know or be aware because sulcats burrow. They can burrow deep and go straight into the neighbors house foundation. Sulcatas can cause havoc on other peoples property especially if they have very little space between them. This OP is not only entitled to know what's going on, but should be supported here and given advice on how to protect these torts and his investment. I know I wouldn't want to find out that there are 5-7 sulcatas in my neighbors backyard especially knowing how much damage they can cause with their deep underground burrowing. If the neighbor is building some kind of enclosure other than a strong fence, that would be fine. But, if it's just as we see in the pics, I would be worried! it's not being nosey; it's being prudent!
the second quote isn't mine...but somehow you made it look that way.
If my neighbor was posting pictures of the back of my house like that it would be very nosey!
Good luck op, I hope you can be neighborly to him and find your answers with him also.

kmartin

central Florida
The easiest way to get info is probably just to go over and say 'hi'. Let's face it, most of us are more than happy to share our pets with someone who is interested. An offer to help with plants and the enclosure will probably net you a new friend! And that way you can figure out if he knows what he is doing and chat up TFO, if he hasn't already found it yet.
Realistically most people love to convert people to how wonderful their pets are, and if you are really concerned he will be more than happy to reassure you that his pets won't cause trouble for you, while making sure they're safe and cared for.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
the OP has a right to know

My neighbor has NO right to know anything that I am doing on my property if it has not, nor will affect them, period...and simply because the species is a large species does not mean the person is going to allow them to do any damage, that is great prejudice against the species and making a huge assumption that this guy is an idiot....hell, just because there is a possibility something could happen does not mean it will, I mean that would mean we should each sit in a plastic air filled bubble and do nothing our entire lives to try to increase our chance of nothing happening to us, silly.

That would be like saying ANYONE who owns a large tortoise species, or any species that burrows, should walk round to their neighbors and acquire their direct permission for you to host the tortoise, seriously?

I would bite my tongue on any lashings and I would also not turn anyone into the animal control officer, especially not with the current goings on....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also, the person who started this thread never said that they housed/hosted for any turtle or tortoise personally, but that the new neighbor has these tortoise.....so, to go over and say that they love tortoise and have a common core may not at all be the case....

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I would make friends with the neighbor. I am sure he will be thrilled to share his passion with another animal lover. A good conversation about his animals, knowledge and plans may put you at ease.

The two dark ones are Manouria Emys (black or brown). I hope this is just temp enclosure while he builds the permanent set up. They need an opposite environment that of a sulcata.
If he had the Manouria for a while then he knows what he is doing. They look great at least from the distant photo. However they do require heavily shaded area and water. Midday sun with no adequate shade is a quick death sentence for these guys. If they have no shade I would nicely mention this one crucial detail.
I think you're right about those two being MEEs , maybe aldabras, but most likely MEE, definitely not sulcatas. The one in the closest corner looks like a testudo something. Hermanni or graeca, hard to tell without closer pics.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Also, the person who started this thread never said that they housed/hosted for any turtle or tortoise personally, but that the new neighbor has these tortoise.....so, to go over and say that they love tortoise and have a common core may not at all be the case....
The person who started this thread says she is "an animal lover of all kinds" in her first post. A simple friendly conversation with your neighbor doesn't require love for tortoises/common core.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
No advice needed. Your neighbor having so many tortoises is no more your business than it is his that you have 9 cats. I am sure you would be appalled if someone snuck onto your property and took pictures of your houseing arrangements for your animals. What you did is a HUGE invasion of privacy. If I were your neighbor and I found out you did that I would get a restraining order immediately.
Your "concern" is not justification for such a huge invasion of privacy. If you are that concerned you need to go to your neighbor's door or prehaps approach him when you see him out working in the yard and introduce yourself. if it were me, I would express an interest in his animals and offer my assistance in getting his set up completed so they can move from their hopefully temporary arrangements.
And shame on the members here judging this guy based on pictures provided by someone who has NO idea what is going on. I certainly hope this guy does not find this board and this post considering what has been said about him in complete ignorance. :(