Need advice...neighbor has 7 sulcata!?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Also looks like they have two expensive large black rubbermaid ponds on the back porch and I can not tell what the screened enclosure is to the right of the ponds???? I feel so creepy looking in the peoples back yard .....

leopard777

5 Year Member
Hi, Tom. The back yard is relatively shady. His house faces West, so for the morning at least it's fully shaded by the house. The enclosure is probably 8x8, and I would say the 8 occupants vary from 12-18" in diameter. No shelter...The top of the enclosure is fully open. No water inside the enclosure...just a bowl of what looked like store bought feed of some kind.

Mike, I know it's still a work in progress he is clearly heavily devoted to the project. He's been out messing with those tubs and plants nearly every evening for a couple of weeks. Looks like he might be curing driftwood in the tubs? I don't want to judge the guy. It looks like it will be a very handsome habitat when he's done. I'm more concerned about the current conditions of the animals and the amount of space they're going to legitimately require.

What should I be looking for? Is it possible that he fosters or does rescue? I have 11 animals myself (9 cats and 2 ferrets) because my husband and I foster and have continual change in the census. I just want the critters to be ok. :(

that look like mazuri pellets to me , quite odd there isnt any water source inside .

turtlemanfla88

hey I agree two are Emys I can not tell which species they are. I recommend you give this person a chance. My neighbors know I keep some turtles and tortoises at first they thought I raised them for food then I explained to them I always keep turtles and tortoises since I was a kid. My neighbors also know my children and i have a 25 yard archery range in our back yard because we all shoot 3-D archery and hunt.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree this is not to good a situation for the tortoises. However, because the guy did just move, you do have to give him a chance to build them something. Having tortoises of any kind in the colder states is just as easy as having them in the warmer states, we just have to spend more money, but we all have to think about heating them on those cold days and nights, so location is not the problem, just the enclousre size. I think it's okay to snoop seeing they are animals and can't go ask for help, however, I don't think you should take pictures and share them, without giving the guy a chance. To some people the amount of cats you have could cause some to call animal control, this guy might be trying to save as many tortoises as he can, the same you are doing with your cats. I do think you should get to know your neighbor, and introduce him to TFO, and keep an eye on him, just incase he doesn't end up doing right by them. Good luck with your cat rescuing and fingers crossed he does right by the torts.