Need advice on moving very large torteses..

Anthonyuren

Location (City and/or State)
Reno Nevada
Good morning all, new to this lovely forum.. we are looking for large torteses carts for little humans and big tort's... Our boys are around 125 and our cranky old lady is about 200 pounds... My cranky old lady is about 120 in a down pour .. we have separate yards and our babys have there own rooms in our house but the cranky old lady "torteses" does not want to take herself to bed like the boys do... We need something to make moving her big ole self easy for my lady... Any ideas would help a lot thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I had two very heavy aldabran tortoises that wouldn't go into their shed at night I'd put something enticing (usually a strawberry) on the end of a very long stick/skewer and wave it in front of their face as I backed up towards the shed.

Yesterday I moved Dudley (120lb+ sulcata) from the backyard, out the gate, around the back of the house and into the front yard by waving a mulberry branch in front of him. He kept getting sidetracked, so my son-in-law held a couple small squares of plywood on either side of his head like overgrown blinders to keep him directional.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is the one you want. It was recommended to me by a guy with a lot of giant tortoises. He says its good for torts up to around 250 pounds and I moved one that size at his place with it. I use it daily for a 100+ pounder. Tip it down, shimmy the tort into it, tip it up, roll it to the door of the night house, and tip it down. The tortoise slides right into its house.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Here is a cart that I purchased from Tractor Suppy Co. Depending on your Tortoise it may not last lone, my Sammy will be outgrowing his soon. Give it a look.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220906-222823_Tractor Supply.jpg
    Screenshot_20220906-222823_Tractor Supply.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 1

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
This is the one you want. It was recommended to me by a guy with a lot of giant tortoises. He says its good for torts up to around 250 pounds and I moved one that size at his place with it. I use it daily for a 100+ pounder. Tip it down, shimmy the tort into it, tip it up, roll it to the door of the night house, and tip it down. The tortoise slides right into its house.

That's the cart in the video from Kamp Kenan. Even though they are pricey, I think it's the easiest and best way to move a big tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's the cart in the video from Kamp Kenan. Even though they are pricey, I think it's the easiest and best way to move a big tort.
Having tried and used many others over many years, I agree.

RhodaE

Thousand Oaks, CA
I am wondering if there are some types of "lifts" made for people who are unable to use their legs. My father in law had a few devices so that mom could help him in/out of bed, etc. They have lifts that swing out over a swimming pool with straps that go under a person, maybe something like that would help. I use a wagon for mine but he's a leopard tortoise and not super heavy. I don't think I could manage a 200 lb tortoise in a wheelbarrow!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think I could manage a 200 lb tortoise in a wheelbarrow!
You could with the cart I linked. My tiny little petite wife and my 15 year old daughter have no problem scooting a large tortoise into the cart, tipping it up, and wheeling it over to the heated night box.