need advice on respiratory infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Last week I took in a Sulcata (see severe pyramiding/respritory infection questions thread) and I fear she's doing worse because she's lost a half pound and she's pulling her head into her shell at different angles, rubbing the side of her face...maybe she's trying to dislodge something? She does this occasionally, not constantly.

HOWEVER, she's still eating great, digging like crazy, bright eyes, active and interested in what is going on. She still has snot but not as much, still mouth breathing a bit. Still on antibiotics.

If it weren't for the weight loss I'd think she was doing better. Any thoughts?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
RE: need advice on respitory infection

Are you keeping her temp higher than usual? I would finish the course of antibiotics.. Then give her some probiotics to help her regain some of her gut flora that the antibiotics will alter..

If she is eating fine and seems alert I would not be concerned... But the 1/2lbs weight loss is strange... but could be the antibiotics...

As for the face rubbing he could be trying to rub off the discharge from his snares..which I do not believe they can comfortably reach...
[/b]

lvstorts

10 Year Member!

That's a new one to me...what/where does one get probiotics for a tortoise?

She was kept inside, dark at 70F. Now she's outside in 90F (yes she has access to shade), so yes, her temp is up!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They lose a lot of weight when they pee (those big guys, I mean). If you weighed the tortoise last time with a full bladder, and then this time after it had pee'd you might see a big difference like that.

To help with the breathing, buy a squirt bottle of saline solution. You can find small bottles for sale in the contact lens section of the pharmacy. Squirt a couple squirts in each nostril. Squeeze quickly and hard. Don't be afraid of getting the liquid into the lungs, because the other end of the nose ends up in the roof of the mouth, not down into the lungs.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
emysemys said:
They lose a lot of weight when they pee (those big guys, I mean). If you weighed the tortoise last time with a full bladder, and then this time after it had pee'd you might see a big difference like that.

To help with the breathing, buy a squirt bottle of saline solution. You can find small bottles for sale in the contact lens section of the pharmacy. Squirt a couple squirts in each nostril. Squeeze quickly and hard. Don't be afraid of getting the liquid into the lungs, because the other end of the nose ends up in the roof of the mouth, not down into the lungs.

Not trying to sound skeptical, I'm not, but what exactly does that do? The saline I mean, I've heard about that before, does it just help rinse it clear or does it dry up some of the mucous?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
it helps clean the mucus out of the nostrils...
make sure she get a good soaking.. heat can dehydrate,, she isnt used to it.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member

lvstorts said:
That's a new one to me...what/where does one get probiotics for a tortoise?

She was kept inside, dark at 70F. Now she's outside in 90F (yes she has access to shade), so yes, her temp is up!

You can use yogurt with live cultures.. Probiotic powders or paste...and the most economical... Fecal matter from a clean tortoise..

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the advice. I don't think she's responding to the Batril. Her mouth breathing has gotten worse and her activity level has decreased.

Has anyone used other antibiotics with more success? If so, which one's?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Weda737 said:
Not trying to sound skeptical, I'm not, but what exactly does that do? The saline I mean, I've heard about that before, does it just help rinse it clear or does it dry up some of the mucous?

It forces the blocking mucous out of the nostrils by pushing it into the mouth so they can breathe. You use saline because it is usually sterile and it would not irritate the membranes.

Baytril is the most effective antibiotic for use against respiratory infections.

I wouldn't start with any other antibiotic for at least a week, to allow a bit of recovery time. Baytril is hard on a tortoise.

This site hasn't been updated since '09, but the drugs are still what's being used today:

http://www.anapsid.org/resources/rxdose.html

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the site. That is a wealth of information!

Any thoughts on what else I could be doing for her to give her the best chance possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.