need advice & reassurance-redfoot help!!!

abigailfitz

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi everyone! I’m a new redfoot owner and i’ve been researching for months. i built a tortoise table, keeping the temp 80-85 with a 90-95 degree basking area. i’ve soaked her every day and kept the humidity level 70-75. I have fake plants and a hut for her to feel comfortably hid, as well as two shallow water dishes. She’s about 4 i’d say. It’s been almost a week and she’s had a total of one bite of romaine and one blackberry— and this is when i set her in front of it. If I don’t take her out to soak her or set her in front of her food, she’s hiding. Is this normal? Will she warm up to me? Help i’m panicking and worried that she’s depressed LOL

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If it's only been a week you've had the tort then that can be pretty normal. They don't like change and they will sulk. It will take some time to settle in and develop a routine. She will soon realize your the god of food.

COmtnLady

Colorado
Does your enclosure have a top and a window? You need the top to keep the humidity in, and the window so your RF can see you. It will take her a while to settle in, but if she's in a "box" she can't see through, it will be longer for her to think everything is ok.

Think about yourself if you were plunked down into a room and you couldn't see anything except the walls. Some of the tougher breeds would try to crash through something they can see through, but RFs (generally) won't try to push their way through it. Mine has a thick plastic window that's a little opaque-ish but can be seen through, and she watches the room, sometimes will climb on it a bit, but usually everything is fine and she's less "startled" when humans bother her home.

Give her some time. And, like Toddrickfl1 said, you'll become the food god and all will be well.