Need advice to offer my fathers tortoises a better life

Merah

Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Heya tortoise owners :)

Long story short I was asked to take care of my fathers tortoises over his holidays which lead to me thinking "Is this the proper way of keeping them?" I'll just try to provide as much information as I can, but if you need any more information I'll try to answer them to the best of my knowledge / ask him :)

Right off the bat, we live in Switzerland, according to some random website that I've found it tends to be sunnier here but slightly less warm overall. We currently have 4 tortoises whose age I can't really tell, one is very young (about 10 cm in length) and the other 3 are older, maybe around 14 years old?

Enclosure
My biggest gripe: Their enclosure. Yes' it's huge, but it doesn't really offer them much and it's outside, temperatures vary and they're there 24/7
IMG_1669.JPG

Right side of the enclosure with a little, thin house that probably doesn't really isolate but makes it warm when the sun shines on it
IMG_1667.JPG
Left side of the enclosure (see the log on both pictures for a reference point) with their water bowl, sorry it was raining hence it's dirty with rocks in it, already cleaned after taking the picture :)

They do not have access to a heatlamp or any of that, what you see is what they get, I don't know what his hibernation idea is this time around, I think he'll take them into our cellar in a cage filled with leaves or let them burrow into the ground in the enclosure house, I shall ask him when he gets back home.

Nutrition
They only get weeds, mainly dandelion with some clover in it at times. we don't add any supplements or fruits / vegetables. Sometimes they only get salad which I've heard doesn't really offer a lot of nutrition for them. I've added some cuttlefish from the petstore which we've gotten recently to provide them with calcium.

Pyramiding?
Took a sideways picture of our biggest tortoise just to ask here if something's developing here or not, as I'm not really a connaiseur of tortoises
image.jpg

I've already told my dad about the heatlamp issue and his counterargument was that "They don't have that in the wild either and that's how their breeder kept them aswell", both points are obviously not really.. reasonable to me, but I couldn't give him examples of what would happen to the tortoises if they're being kept like that without a change.

What I'm hoping to get from you folks:
  • Advice on nutrition / links to good sources nutritionwise
  • Advice on the enclosure situation as I don't just want all that space to go to waste either.. Would you recommend taking them inside when it's too cold? If so how cold? and build one of those fancy tortoise tables?
  • Would you keep the smallest one from hibernating? I've had someone tell me you shouldn't hibernate young tortoises.
  • What could be negative effects to their development if it stays that way?

Again, I'll try to get information off of my old man if you need to know anything else :)

Have a lovely day!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Wow, I'd go out on a limb a bit here as I don't know that actual temps that the tortoises experiences, that limb is called, don't try to fix what is not broken. The tortoise looks great, no pyramiding in any way shape or form, the diet sounds pretty darn good, and for space, it looks good too.

How long have these tortoises been in place?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm with Will here. The tortoises look great, and the enclosure looks like it has plenty to eat. I don't know about the heat, because I don't keep that type of tortoise, but I know a Russian (a different type of testudo) would be very happy there, weather and all.

Merah

Switzerland
Hey and thanks for the replies :) Here's the temperatures from around my place and I'd assume they're outside from March until about November, not sure about that though, so you'd say they can be kept outside at night too without concerns? The tortoises live here since we've built our house in 2004
a3f13447ac3900cc4b3f9df39a280a71.png

daniellenc

Maryland
I’d assume they’d need a heated box but I don’t keep Herman’s myself.