Need advise please

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
I have 2 problems, one on each of my lovely torts.

1st tort:
I was scrubbing of the dried poop on my tort today when it accidentally slipped of my hands and landed on the ground. The fall was maybe about a few inches off the ground cause I usually go on the ground to wash them just in case they were to ever slip of my hands than it would no be a hard fall and damn today it happened, I feel so lousy about it. Anyway it's doing just fine but the shell where the plastron and carapace meets did chip, a small chip about maybe maximum 1cm in diameter. I than put some iodine around the chipped area. It is doing totally fine, walking and all. I am just a bit concerned, has this happened to any of you'll and how long does it usually take to grow back?

2nd tort:
It is eating and all is fine but for the past 1 week, it has been walking very slow compared to normal. I noticed that it's right rear leg is not functioning as well or like it's suppose to, perhaps it sprained it while I was scrubbing it down last weekend? It is still walking but using 3 of it's feet more than 4. Will this just take time to recover and how long will it take to recover usually? There are no bruises, redness whatsoever, all limbs moving fine when you pick it up but only when it's on the surface, it uses more of it's 3 feet rather than 4, the feet which is giving it problems, it is more like dragging it, still using it but not like how it used to.

I hope both the problems above go away soon cause it is really upsetting me, my torts mean a lot to me.

samstar

5 Year Member
Reply from my vet:

1st tort:I REALLY DON’T THINK THERE IS ANYTHING TO BE WORRIED ABOUT. THERE ARE SEVERAL LAYERS CONSTITUTING THE SHELL, AND THE IODINE ONCE A DAY FOR 3 DAYS SHOULD HELP KEEP IN FROM ANY SHELL ROT BEFORE IT HARDENDS AGAIN.

2nd tort:ALSO NOT A SERIOUS ISSUE I THINK. LIKELY A SPRAIN OR STRAIN OF ONE OF THE JOINTS OF THE LEG, BUT EXPECT IT TO HEAL BACK TO NORMAL OVER A SLIGHTLY LONGER PERIOD COMPARED WITH DOGS OR HUMANS, PERHAPS A MONTH, HOPEFULLY LESS. MEANWHILE, MONITOR IF IT WORSENS, OR DEVELOPS ANY SWELLING THERE, OR IF PART OF THE LEG/SKIN IMPINGES UPON THE SHELL; CONTINUE WITH FOODS WITH ANTIOXIDANTS EG ROSE OR HIBISCUS PETALS.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
For once I agree with a vet, twice in fact. The shell should be a minor problem and the legs I would just keep an eye on for now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What is your UV source? Do they ever see real sunshine? How often and how much calcium supplementation do you use?

samstar

5 Year Member
Tom said:
What is your UV source? Do they ever see real sunshine? How often and how much calcium supplementation do you use?

Using megaray mvb which is on from 7.30am-10.30am and 4-6pm everyday, unless it's raining, than it's on from 7.30am-6pm. yes they see sunshine in their enclosure every morning. They are 90% of the time on mazuri which does consist vitamin d3 but I also do put calcium powder on their food twice a week. I live in a tropical climate where it's warm 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.