Need an accurate temperatures and humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
I read so many care sheets, all have different on temp and humi between 5F, sometimes its 10F...this is a lot
so I am here to ask in general what is the temp and humidity should be?

First of all, its for hatchling Hermann's tort, in a 90gal tank, with 150w basking light, 100W CHE.

what is correct temp at the warm side, cool side, and whole enclosure should be? when I turn off basking light and turn on the CHE at night, what is temp should be as whole tank?

what about the humidity?
below is the tank i got today

Attachments

• IMG00117-20120216-1734.jpg
    IMG00117-20120216-1734.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG00118-20120216-1735.jpg
    IMG00118-20120216-1735.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 22

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Crown Point, Indiana
The warm side should be atleast 92-100 degrees Fahrenheit, and the cooler side should be at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. At night it shouldnt drop below 60's. For a hermann, i would suggest about 70 degrees at night would be great. As for humidity it all depends. Most likely it should be around 70-80 percent humidity. I have a russian tortoise and that is what i keep my temperatures at as well. :)

Though the 150 watt might be too hott. I have a 4ft by 2ft enclosure and i use a 125 watt, which brings the temps up to 100 degrees on the warm side. Since it's a glass tank im assuming it will even get hotter in there, but im not too sure.

HtVic

5 Year Member
lauren43201 said:
The warm side should be atleast 92-100 degrees Fahrenheit, and the cooler side should be at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. At night it shouldnt drop below 60's. For a hermann, i would suggest about 70 degrees at night would be great. As for humidity it all depends. Most likely it should be around 70-80 percent humidity. I have a russian tortoise and that is what i keep my temperatures at as well. :)

Though the 150 watt might be too hott. I have a 4ft by 2ft enclosure and i use a 125 watt, which brings the temps up to 100 degrees on the warm side. Since it's a glass tank im assuming it will even get hotter in there, but im not too sure.

92-100 degree at warm side, that high?ok
I will adjust the basking light up and down to find the right temp
and 70 at night, thats for the whole enclosure temp right?

Zamric said:
for that humidity you'll need a solid top

yeah, but I have to know what is humidity should be first

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
HtVic said:
lauren43201 said:

Yup. Well it can go up to 100, but the most preferred spot is between 92-96. Though mine gets up to 100, and my tortoise loves soaking up that heat. :) and yes 70 for the whole enclosure. At night, a night time drop is needed so it resembles the wild. so 70 degrees is a perfect comfortable temperature. :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Oh, I thought she said it was 70-80%... but thats for Sullies and Leopards... I thought it was the same All hatchlings for the 1st year but that is an idiotic thought! Since we preach each species has it's own special husbandry.

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
Zamric said:
Oh, I thought she said it was 70-80%... but thats for Sullies and Leopards... I thought it was the same All hatchlings for the 1st year but that is an idiotic thought! Since we preach each species has it's own special husbandry.

I was told that for russians that a 70% percent humidity was ideal? hahaha, is that wrong? :p

HtVic

5 Year Member
Zamric said:

ok 70-80% thanks
whats ur humi level of keeping hatchling before or now>?
I will just learn from you guys:D

[/quote]

Yup. Well it can go up to 100, but the most preferred spot is between 92-96. Though mine gets up to 100, and my tortoise loves soaking up that heat. :) and yes 70 for the whole enclosure. At night, a night time drop is needed so it resembles the wild. so 70 degrees is a perfect comfortable temperature. :)

[/quote]

one thing tho, what is temp inside the hide should be at night? coz I am not sure whether the hatchling will sleep inside the hide at night

lauren43201 said:
Zamric said:

I was told that for russians that a 70% percent humidity was ideal? hahaha, is that wrong? :p

70% also for hermann?

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
I never really worried about the temperature of the hide at night. As long as your temperatures are in the 60/even better 70's at night it should be fine i assume. My tortoise doesn't even use his hide, as he prefers to burrow. :3
But that's just for me. Everybody has different opinions on ways things should be done, and that's just how i do it. :p

edit: For a hermann, humidity of 60%-70% percent in the day will be fine. As i said, it all just depends. Humidity shouldn't be a problem though once you have everything set up. As long as the substrate is slightly damp and your heat light is on, all should be good. If you have plants in there, or some grass, that will also help with humidity alot too.

HtVic

5 Year Member
but I thought med size species need low humidity environments
for Hermann, people recommend using aspen wood bedding.
Ok, I will keep the humidity around that range.
and is it true that glass tank can't maintain cool area?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
my glass tank maintains a cool area of 70-75* buy I have a heat rope that covers 2/3 of the bottom of the tank. the other 1/3 stays cool

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
HtVic said:
but I thought med size species need low humidity environments
for Hermann, people recommend using aspen wood bedding.
Ok, I will keep the humidity around that range.
and is it true that glass tank can't maintain cool area?

Well im just telling you what i was told from others. :3 im not sure about your questions with the glass tank, because i have a tortoise table. As for bedding i use the Coconut coir, which i really like and so does Donatello. Alot of people like to mix it but i keep mine just 100% coir. :p i never used the Aspen bedding so tell me how it works out! :D

HtVic

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
my glass tank maintains a cool area of 70-75* buy I have a heat rope that covers 2/3 of the bottom of the tank. the other 1/3 stays cool

I guess I have to try it out first

Well im just telling you what i was told from others. :3 im not sure about your questions with the glass tank, because i have a tortoise table. As for bedding i use the Coconut coir, which i really like and so does Donatello. Alot of people like to mix it but i keep mine just 100% coir. :p i never used the Aspen bedding so tell me how it works out! :D

[/quote]

I think I will use coir too, 'cause there are lot of reviews on that
and for some reasons(my friz bought them to me:D), I have 3 set of gauges..:p
1.digital temp& humi with two probes
2.also digital temp&humi with no probe
3. analog thermometer and hygrometer

so, I need some advises of which one to where
I was thinking use to first one on the warm side, and second one on the other end, then use analog in the middle.

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
Haha! I heard digital gauges work the best, but for now i have an analog one. :p but yes coir is really good, and it doesnt mold or have bugs so theres a plus! Wooo. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.