Need answers please. (eggs & nest-building)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan J

5 Year Member
My female Russian is pregnant what kind of environment should I put her in to make her comfortable so she does not stress. Also how many holes do they typically dig?

And can I leave her in the enclosure with the male?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
RE: Need answers please.

Well a deep substrate is key. The type of substrate you use is very crucial as well. If your tortoise feels very safe and secure with her surroundings she may only dig one hole lay the eggs then cover it up. However she may dig a few holes to test the soil. If she digs numerous test holes, she probably does not like the substrate. Straight mulch with not be favored. I would place a nesting box in her enclosure (if she is inside) fill it with about 8-10" of top soil, some sphagnum moss, and even some coco coir if you want. Nice loose good ol dirt, slightly moistened. If she is outside she will be just fine with the dirt and grass layer found where she is at.

I would remove the male to reduce the amount of stress to her. Especially if this is her first time. Male Russians are notorious for stress inducing. Ive lost eggs from females leaving the male in with the female. Is she pacing and acting restless?

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
RE: Need answers please.

im sorry this doesnt help u at all. and sorry to anybody who may have to move it but i cant figure out how to start a new thread anymore. so im going to just post it.

My tortoises have been mating for a long time over a year. and my female shows no signs of holding eggs. Im getting another female i hope that will help. But i really want some eggs! i know i need to be patient but i just want to know if im doing something wrong. I bought them both at repticon they both looked healthy. the female is huge and the male is medium. Im going to make it more humid in their cage too. Also my female when i set her down it takes her a minute to get her legs oriented they like stick out to the side. but then she gets it together. i love my russians and i want no harm to come to them help plez

wait i figured it out sorry for wasting ur time

no i didnt sorry again

Status
Not open for further replies.