NEED EXPERIENCE: redfoots trying to get out

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxDarkEuphoriaxX

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hi, I just have a smiple question. I noticed with some species of tortoises, they constantly pace the tank trying to get out... ARE redfoot's known for this activity or not so much? From what I have seen in petstores, they don't exhibit this activity as much as other species...

just wondering, I don't have one yet but will be in a few months..

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Shelby my Hermanns walks around her table not trying to get out but patrolling, Kerrys new RF as not started doing this yet but its early days and we are waiting for the bigger viv so we will see if that starts then

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Tortoises don't understand the concept of glass. If they can see through it, then in their mind's they can walk through it. When this happens, it puts a lot of stress on them physically and mentally. You can make it to where they can't see out and they should settle down. I've noticed desert species when really warm and active will pace relentlessly around the enclosure.

-Matt

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Most of the pacing I have seen or heard of has been driven by small habitats, wrong temps, and other stressors but Red-foots are not especially sensitive to it.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I keep mine in vivariums (planted glass tanks) and only cover the back and the sides. I like to interact with them if I'm in the room. I've never had one that tried to get out...neither boxie or tort. I think if you provide an interesting environment for them, with comfortable temperatures, and a large enough enclosure, they won't be interested in getting out. Just MHO.
Tom from turtletails wrote this...I love it:
"A specimen turtle is an animal in a cage on a shelf in a storage room somewhere. A pet turtle is a turtle you live with. A pet turtle you live with has a much more interesting and enjoyable environment. Watching you is part of their entertainment."

LindaF

5 Year Member
Now that I have perfected my enclosure with temp and humidity my little guy is more active and always looking for a way out. My husband says he is looking for an escape route.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Most of the time they figure out the glass thing, but not always.

I've often heard it stated as fact, that this "stresses them out". I'd be curious if anyone has ever substantiated this. From what I've seen a "Stressed" tortoise goes and hides. I think its more unnerving for the owner than the tortoise.

I would fully expect a healthy tort to be very active and patrol the enclosure looking for a way out. In the wild they can have miles to wander for their "home area". It is likely instinctive for them to be curious about what lies "over that rock" in the wild, and "over that wall" in captivity.

Its when they just sit complacently that I get worried.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Not being able to understand the concept of glass does in fact stress a tortoise out. If they can see through it and not go though it, the inability to walk beyond causes confusion for the animal. A tortoise who hides, is in fact one that is not stressed out. If a tortoise is not exposed to the outside world, then they are relaxed. Imagine you are running from a pack of wild dogs. You come to a fenced off area laced with razor wire at the top. You cannot go through that fence and the dogs are getting closer. You would be pretty stressed out right? I believe this is pretty much what a tortoise feels like when it is exposed and cannot get to where it wants to go.

I just had fun with that one!

-Matt

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
LOL yes I'd be stressed out Matt, but there's no pack of dogs chasing the tort :)

Neither of us can really see into a torts head and know what their feeling, so all I can say is that doesn't make sense.

If a tortoise is getting chased by dogs, they don't run, they hide. They look for the nearest concealed spot if they can reach it and tuck into their shell. That's their stress response.

Torts that have gone through shipping, poor cares at the "pet store" etc.. are fairly clearly going to be stressed out. How could they be otherwise? How do they respond? They Hide. Tortoises are famous for hiding when placed in a new, scary home, not pacing the walls looking for a way out.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I hope you know that I didn't mean literally being chased by dogs, right? I was just making a parallel with a situation that we could understand. It is fact that a tortoise is stressed out when it is out in the open. Being held back by glass triggers that stress response. In their mind, they have one goal and that is to get to where they are going. Retreating into their shell should be a last ditch effort. You don't have to "see into a torts head" to know what they're feeling. You can visually observe the stress and know that it is taking place. In my opinion, tortoises only leave their hides to eat, drink, mate, and thermoregulate. If a tortoise is put into a cage that doesn't offer an adequate place to feel safe, then you're going to have a stressed tortoise that will eventually lead to it becoming ill.

-Matt

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
We can argue this all day long and get no where. Just goes to show even common sense isn't "common". By that I don't mean yours is flawed (though it is :) ) just that we see something different here.

I have more I could argue, but better to just drop it at this point.

I will say this for any other readers,

IMHO if your tortoise is being a "pretty rock" and never leaving its hide except to eat, mate or thermoregulate it IS stressed and/or not healthy. They need exercise just like any other animal.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I never stated that a (captive) tortoise should just sit there and not do anything. I'm saying that when a tortoise is desperately trying to walk through glass, there is an element of stress involved. Plain and simple. :) A wild tortoise is only on the move when it feels perfectly safe in its environment.

-Matt

LindaF

5 Year Member
Glad my guy is in a tort table and not a tank any more! I would feel bad if he was anticipating a pack of wild dogs and was stressed because he couldn't run thru the glass LOL. You guys crack me up.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
LindaF said:
Glad my guy is in a tort table and not a tank any more! I would feel bad if he was anticipating a pack of wild dogs and was stressed because he couldn't run thru the glass LOL. You guys crack me up.

Haha! We have to keep things lighthearted around here. :)

-Matt

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Also we have to keep in mind that different species have different activity levels.. at different ages!

"... DIFFERENT SPECIES..." was the Q? in this thread guys.

I went to visit Bill Zovickian [ THE radiated guy.. currently has a few young adults which will be creating F3 hatchlings soon] a few years back. At 5 years old these guys were pretty rocks! 4 hours later when I left they hadn't moved a 1/4 inch! Bill also had a mature male that followed us along the wall of the table he was in.. wanting Bill to scratch his head.

Now my redfoots.. ( and to answer the Q? by XxDarkEuphoriaxX ) regardless their age seldom 'cruise'.. most of the time they are sleeping out of the light.. but not all of the time! AND hatchlings it seems are more active.. again based on the species.

Hope that answers everyone's concerns.

NERD

drift2sea

5 Year Member
Some where in time
Soon as i brought mine home and she got healthy and some energy she did the same thing.I put a 3 inch border of 100 mile an hour tape around the whole bottom base of the tank,just enough where she cant get her head to see past the border.Stopped that day hasnt done it since

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
My RF's are active when I put them in the yard while they are eating. They walk around, follow me...go up and down the side walk. As soon as I put them in their enclouse..they head for the first hide and sit there until they need water. They seldom come out and walk around unless it is to change hides. My torts are not sick....

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Balboa said:
We can argue this all day long and get no where. Just goes to show even common sense isn't "common". By that I don't mean yours is flawed (though it is :) ) just that we see something different here.

I have more I could argue, but better to just drop it at this point.

I will say this for any other readers,

IMHO if your tortoise is being a "pretty rock" and never leaving its hide except to eat, mate or thermoregulate it IS stressed and/or not healthy. They need exercise just like any other animal.

Though I am new to torts I am not new to animals of many other species and I have to say I agree 100% :):tort:

drift2sea

5 Year Member
Some where in time
I think a lot of people that get pets like this take care of them but leave them in the tank.I get mine out everyday and if its not grazing outside getting sun eating grass,shes on my livingroom floor running around chasing my ginny pig Bentley.I make sure she gets a couple of hours of activity,it has done wonders for her eating now.Its just like a kid who stays inside and plays video games all day.No exercise willl lead to problems.Thats for human and tortoise alike.I still hate getting up at 430am every day to do PT,but i look and feel great.

Status
Not open for further replies.