Need habitat help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

derbymd2

5 Year Member
New Tortoise Owner

I just got a Russian Tortoise about 10 years old. I have him in a rubbermaid bin. I am worried he doesn't have enough room. This is the 3 night I have had him and tonight he keeps digging in the corner. I have dirt, a ramp water bowl, a food bowl, a heat lamp, and UV lamp. Am I missing anything? Should I put him in a bigger habitat? Please Help!

Mr Huberts Home.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

derbymd2

5 Year Member
Mr Huberts Home.jpg

This is my Habitat for my Russian Tortoise. All I have is dirt, a water/bathing ramp bowl, a food bowl, heat lamp and a UV lamp. Should I make it bigger? What am I missing? I have had him for 3 days... and I guess I got the new parent worries!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, derbymd2!

It would have been good to be able to see the tortoise inside the habitat. That way we can tell if the space is big enough for the tortoise. My guess is that it is not.

If your Steppe tortoise is full grown, they need a lot of room to wander. I mean, A LOT. Can you set him up outside?

If he's just a baby, then what you have is ok.

Also, he'll need a little cave or something to hide in.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Also Bits And Bobs (Logs etc...) to stimulate natural behaviour and prevent boredom.
Also the Food Bowl looks a tad small, a piece of slate would be better for wearing the beak down.
And cuttlefish for calcium :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just found your other thread and merged it with this one, where you say your steppe tortoise is 10 years old. Yes, you are correct, this is too small for him. At 10 years of age, he is plenty big enough to have an outside habitat. If its not possible to set him up outside, then look for an old 5 shelf book case at yard/garage sales, remove the shelves and line it with plastic. This is still not ideal, but will be better than what you have.

derbymd2

5 Year Member
Okay... so a bigger container. That will be the next thing I work on. Hes not that big I could pick him up with one hand. I would put him outside but there are possums and cats that jump in my backyard all the time. What do you guys suggest for hidey holes? I did get a bigger food bowl for him. Am I supposed to feed him twice a day?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
RE: New Tortoise Owner

derbymd2 said:
I just got a Russian Tortoise about 10 years old. I have him in a rubbermaid bin. I am worried he doesn't have enough room. This is the 3 night I have had him and tonight he keeps digging in the corner. I have dirt, a ramp water bowl, a food bowl, a heat lamp, and UV lamp. Am I missing anything? Should I put him in a bigger habitat? Please Help!

A larger enclosure would be better for sure. The primary reason that your tortoise is digging on the corner is probably due him being in a new environment and having the overwhelming instinct to bury himself (Russians are a true burrowing species). It's normal.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
derbymd2 said:
Okay... so a bigger container. That will be the next thing I work on. Hes not that big I could pick him up with one hand. I would put him outside but there are possums and cats that jump in my backyard all the time. What do you guys suggest for hidey holes? I did get a bigger food bowl for him. Am I supposed to feed him twice a day?

What you may want to consider, is to at some point simply attach another container like you have to this one. Or perhaps work on an upper layer. Keep an eye out on places like Freecycle or curbside garbage areas for an old bookcase to use.

Outside, how about at least doing that when you are there to watch him? Then start working on a safe enclosure out there for next year (not sure where you are, but in most places it's getting to late in the year to worry much about building the outside enclosure now).

Hides can be anything... a flower pot on it's side, a half log, a plastic container with a door cut out, a cardboard box (won't last long but works), the list just goes on and on.

It's up to you how many times a day you wish to feed. Just break up the amount into as many meals as you wish.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
derbymd2 said:

Work on the indoor enclosure first, as that is likely where you will keep him this winter. Unless you live in a warmer climate?
Check out Craigslist for used bookcases, too. Look for something around 2' x 5'. Deeper walls >12" are ideal, but if they are shorter, you can add a lip around the edge to prevent him climbing out.

When you decide to house him outside, you will find several idease, including using an outdoor dog run (chain link fence), etc. (These can be found on Craigslist too, so keep your eye out). Other enclosures are secure with wood sides, backfilled with soil, and a framed wire lid with lock.

derbymd2

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
derbymd2 said:

Work on the indoor enclosure first, as that is likely where you will keep him this winter. Unless you live in a warmer climate?
Check out Craigslist for used bookcases, too. Look for something around 2' x 5'. Deeper walls >12" are ideal, but if they are shorter, you can add a lip around the edge to prevent him climbing out.

When you decide to house him outside, you will find several idease, including using an outdoor dog run (chain link fence), etc. (These can be found on Craigslist too, so keep your eye out). Other enclosures are secure with wood sides, backfilled with soil, and a framed wire lid with lock.

Alright What do you suggest is better for bedding? Dirt or bark?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
What substrate are you using now? It looks pretty good. Untreated dirt, organic topsoil, coir, cypress mulch, or some combination, all work very well.
I think the enclosure just needs to be larger, perhaps the substrate deeper in certain areas.

Also, make sure there is a cool side of about 70F or room temp, and basking area of about 95 to 100 immediately under the lamp.
Get a little digital thermometer with a wire probe (Walmart, etc.) and you can move the probe around.

Finally, as GB said, they will burrow when in a new enclosure at first until they feel more secure.

derbymd2

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
What substrate are you using now? It looks pretty good. Untreated dirt, organic topsoil, coir, cypress mulch, or some combination, all work very well.
I think the enclosure just needs to be larger, perhaps the substrate deeper in certain areas.

Also, make sure there is a cool side of about 70F or room temp, and basking area of about 95 to 100 immediately under the lamp.
Get a little digital thermometer with a wire probe (Walmart, etc.) and you can move the probe around.

Finally, as GB said, they will burrow when in a new enclosure at first until they feel more secure.

Yeah I moved most of the dirt to one side for now and hes burrowing under the dirt at first I was like WTF did he go????? I am working on finding a container but I am coming up short! He does get up with me in the morning for breakfast... I think hes getting used to when I am feeding him now but when I get home from work hes under the dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.