need heat in humid hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllieN

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Bay Area
I've finally made a humid hide for my little sulcata, badly needed, but it's not warm enough. I put a heat mat on the side, but the temps are only in the mid-70's. I can't move it to a warmer spot in the enclosure. I tried to research it here on the forum, and several people referred to heat cables. Would it be safe to put heat cables in the bottom directly under the moistened coco coir substrate? Or does anybody have any other suggestions?

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Have you tried putting the heat mat under the enclosure so it can rise up? That's what I do and I'm able to keep the sleeping/extra-humid spot at 80 degrees with a thermostat. Other people use ceramic heat emitters over their hides. I would use a thermostat either way so it doesn't get too hot or cold.

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
Tortus said:
Have you tried putting the heat mat under the enclosure so it can rise up?

I actually followed the package directions;) which said if it was going onto a plastic "tank" it should go on the side, not the bottom. I don't know what the reasons for that may be. Perhaps the reasons don't apply in this case - the hide isn't heavy like a tank would be. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.