Need Heating Assistance

vladimir

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Thank you! I am so new to this I feel like everything I’m doing is so wrong!
Yep as mentioned above the Kane heat mats are what they lie on, but usually that's once they get a little bigger since they take up so much room. A small RHP could work for you for now, and would still provide value as he grows.

That size enclosure looks good to start - how much does Tommy weigh?

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
My enclosures have all been open but I rigged a partial closed chamber for part of it using 2" rigid foam insulation as a makeshift roof, and 6 mil plastic sheeting as a barrier to keep the heat in

koehle29

Blandon, PA
Tommy weighs probably less than a pound right now. He fits in the pal of my hand still. I know this will change soon but I was hoping that the enclosure I’m having made out of that furniture I showed you would be good at least for a little while. I like the idea of an open table and I think as he grows that’s the Sirius will take. I like your idea of using the foam and plastic to keep in some heat. It’s not heavy but does the job.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Tommy weighs probably less than a pound right now. He fits in the pal of my hand still. I know this will change soon but I was hoping that the enclosure I’m having made out of that furniture I showed you would be good at least for a little while. I like the idea of an open table and I think as he grows that’s the Sirius will take. I like your idea of using the foam and plastic to keep in some heat. It’s not heavy but does the job.

I think it would probably last for a year or more hopefully, depending on how quickly he grows. It is definitely very challenging to maintain humidity with an open enclosure, which is especially important while they're small.

What was your plan for modifications to that table in the picture? What materials were you planning on using? Just curious as maybe someone can offer some input which may help.

koehle29

Blandon, PA
I was going to put wood on the back and sides and use plexiglass to make sliding doors for the front. It’s so hard to imagine him growing that quickly since he’s so little now! Would you be able to share pictures of your enclosures so I could get some ideas? Thank you!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey there Koehler,

They really do grow up fast, and you don’t want to spend a lot of money on making a fancy enclosure ‘cause they will quickly outgrow. That frame you have, IMHO, is too tall, and not wide enough especially if you are planning to use it like it is curr3ntly sitting. It’s probably easier to just start with a different frame/layout or go with a large Rubbermaid type container... with a lid to maintain moisture.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
@koehle29 I'll try to get some pictures up of some of my previous enclosures. #3 was a 110 gallon stock tub from Tractor Supply, which he was in from around 4lbs until about the 8lb mark. This is the one: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...avy-duty-oval-stock-tank-110-gal?cm_vc=-10005

For $70 it may work better than modifying the furniture you have. You could put foam insulation over the top to make a partial roof to help maintain the heat/humidity.

After that I upgraded to a 300 gallon stock tank, which he's currently in while I build his next (hopefully final) indoor enclosure. That one is here: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...oam-stock-tanks-300-gal-capacity?cm_vc=-10005

I got it on sale in October for about $209.

As @Maro2Bear mentioned, you'll probably be surprised how quickly little Tommy can grow, so you may be needing to upgrade sooner than you expect.

koehle29

Blandon, PA
Ok, thank you for all your suggestions. I will do the modified furniture even if it’s only for a year than I’ll come up with something else! How/where do you hang the heat lamps on the tubs if you cover it with foam boards?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
@koehle29 I'll try to get some pictures up of some of my previous enclosures. #3 was a 110 gallon stock tub from Tractor Supply, which he was in from around 4lbs until about the 8lb mark. This is the one: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...avy-duty-oval-stock-tank-110-gal?cm_vc=-10005

For $70 it may work better than modifying the furniture you have. You could put foam insulation over the top to make a partial roof to help maintain the heat/humidity.

After that I upgraded to a 300 gallon stock tank, which he's currently in while I build his next (hopefully final) indoor enclosure. That one is here: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...oam-stock-tanks-300-gal-capacity?cm_vc=-10005

I got it on sale in October for about $209.

As @Maro2Bear mentioned, you'll probably be surprised how quickly little Tommy can grow, so you may be needing to upgrade sooner than you expect.

Yes....our soon to be 4 year old Sully is at the 70 lb stage now. :)

koehle29

Blandon, PA
I’m still waiting on Tommy’s enclosure to be complete. He’s still in a plastic tote. When you are finished with your table that you’re making could you send me a picture of it? Thank you!

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I’m still waiting on Tommy’s enclosure to be complete. He’s still in a plastic tote. When you are finished with your table that you’re making could you send me a picture of it? Thank you!

Here's a post in my thread on my new enclosure: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/planning-new-indoor-enclosure.163087/#post-1594079

It's not complete yet (although I've made progress and need to post newer pics) but you can get an idea of how big I'm going for.

He's currently in the 300 gallon stock tub with foam insulation / plastic to maintain heat:

upload_2018-4-11_12-45-3.png

Not the greatest picture but you can get an idea. Let me know if you have more questions :)

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
The view from behind the curtain (the radiant heat panel is hanging from above):

upload_2018-4-11_12-47-9.png

Note that this is not the ideal enclosure for him, which is why I've been working on the upgrade :)

koehle29

Blandon, PA
Your new home for Vlad is amazing. I know it won’t be too much longer until I have to think about something like that. Will you still use foam insulation to keep the temperature warm?

txturtledude

5 Year Member
DFW Area, Texas
Here is an option. I use a black plastic 4’x2’ cement mixing tub from Home Depot and an Ogrow Mini Greenhouse 4’x2’ from Amazon.

upload_2018-4-11_21-19-54.jpeg

upload_2018-4-11_21-20-37.jpeg

upload_2018-4-11_21-17-51.png

upload_2018-4-11_21-18-36.png

Hope that helps...good luck!

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-11_21-19-54.jpeg
    upload_2018-4-11_21-19-54.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10