Need help (abrasion on skin)

Brandon1221

This is Doug . I recently adopted him from a very elderly man that could not take care of him anymore . He eats great is very active and very social when we are in the backyard . But I noticed some sore in his armpit looks like a small cut . It also looks raw to me and that is on his right side . On the left he has a scale that looks like it is coming off . I have had him for two weeks now. He came from a place where there was 15 females and one male that was bigger than him . He is 16 years old and probably weighs around 75-85 pds . I will post pics of these sores tomorrow when he comes out of his house . Thanks for the help

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello and welcome :) What a great looking tortoise.

This is just my guess, but he may have cut himself on his shell when climbing. If you haven't already I would wash the area and apply some Neosporin on the affected area.

Killerrookie

Like a wise and amazing women told someone else put a little duck tap on the part of the shell where it's cutting him so it won't puncture him or give him a nasty cut!! It will keep him safe and no worrying about a infection!! Hope this helped!
-Austin
Oh and welcome to the forum!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This is Doug . I recently adopted him from a very elderly man that could not take care of him anymore . He eats great is very active and very social when we are in the backyard . But I noticed some sore in his armpit looks like a small cut . It also looks raw to me and that is on his right side . On the left he has a scale that looks like it is coming off . I have had him for two weeks now. He came from a place where there was 15 females and one male that was bigger than him . He is 16 years old and probably weighs around 75-85 pds . I will post pics of these sores tomorrow when he comes out of his house . Thanks for the help

15 females? Perhaps he has some armpit issues because he was partaking of the 15 females alot...??? and that may have caused some rashes/cuts?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Brandon and Doug and a very warm welcome to Tortoise forum.
Sulcatas are big and tough and seem to crash about quite a lot, or so I have heard.
As long as minor wounds like this don't get infected, he should be fine.
Just keep them clean.