Need Help ASAP Please (turtle egg in the water)

cschub13

Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, WI
I have a midland painted turtle that has about a 4-5" shell and is about 2.5 years old, healthy and active. Yesterday I found in the tank, what I am almost positive was the remains of an egg. I know turtles are capable of laying eggs without males and that they are just infertile, but I would not have thought she was old enough to do this yet. Her setup currently does not have any egg laying site. She must have either expelled in the water or laid it on her basking area before it fell in and she ate it.

I have no idea if she has more eggs inside that she needs to get out, and I have no idea what to do because I don't want her to retain them and have issues. Do I need to make a temporary container to keep her in that she can potentially lay eggs? Are there other methods for expelling infertile eggs? Any help and experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you really think it was an egg, you should make her an area that she can get into herself to dig and lay. It should be easily accessed from her water area.

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
Well her current setup would not allow for an area to lay.

To follow that up, a second egg was laid during the night and mostly eaten by the time the lights came on. From the minimal information I can find on the matter, it sounds like I will need to make a separate temporary tub with a few inches of soil/sand mix. Hopefully if I make it secure, dark, and leave her be for the day or night she will lay any and all eggs she has.

The only thing that still irks me, is that she is so young. I didn't think that a female was mature enough at only 2.5 years to produce eggs, but she clearly is.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Well her current setup would not allow for an area to lay.

To follow that up, a second egg was laid during the night and mostly eaten by the time the lights came on. From the minimal information I can find on the matter, it sounds like I will need to make a separate temporary tub with a few inches of soil/sand mix. Hopefully if I make it secure, dark, and leave her be for the day or night she will lay any and all eggs she has.

The only thing that still irks me, is that she is so young. I didn't think that a female was mature enough at only 2.5 years to produce eggs, but she clearly is.
4.5" is big enough for a midland or southern painted to start producing eggs. I would expect 3-4 in a clutch. You can use the separate tub for her, but be sure the substrate is at least 6" deep. Keep in a fairly warm place. Sometimes young females will drop eggs randomly and not nest even when good places are present. It is a good thing she is passing eggs "normally" so impaction is probably not an issue. Normally, they will be much more active than normal seemingly always trying to get out of their tank when they want to lay. Be sure the tub you use is secure. Let us know what happens.

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
She is definitely being much more active than usual, and rarely seen basking. Her appetite has not been an issue tho, which is good. I will try the separate egg laying setup this weekend and see if I have any luck.

How long again can I expect before she has more eggs?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
She is definitely being much more active than usual, and rarely seen basking. Her appetite has not been an issue tho, which is good. I will try the separate egg laying setup this weekend and see if I have any luck.

How long again can I expect before she has more eggs?
When a smaller painted turtle is ready to lay, they will normally have about 3-5 eggs follicles developed to the point of ready to lay. At the same time, she may have another 3-5 about 4-6 weeks behind those in development that would be a second clutch, 4-6 weeks later. For a young female, and one not with a male before, I would not be surprised if she just had the one clutch. Sounds like you are attentive to her behaviors and she will act differently when she want/needs to lay. I personally do not like keeping female turtles without a place they could lay if necessary, so you need to pay attention to her.

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
When a smaller painted turtle is ready to lay, they will normally have about 3-5 eggs follicles developed to the point of ready to lay. At the same time, she may have another 3-5 about 4-6 weeks behind those in development that would be a second clutch, 4-6 weeks later. For a young female, and one not with a male before, I would not be surprised if she just had the one clutch. Sounds like you are attentive to her behaviors and she will act differently when she want/needs to lay. I personally do not like keeping female turtles without a place they could lay if necessary, so you need to pay attention to her.

Hopefully this is the only clutch for a while...I was unaware of the sex of the turtle up until now, so ideally I will need to upgrade her setup to incorporate an egg laying site. I am entertaining the idea of an outdoor enclosure, but I live in Wisconsin, so it would only be a seasonal home.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hopefully this is the only clutch for a while...I was unaware of the sex of the turtle up until now, so ideally I will need to upgrade her setup to incorporate an egg laying site. I am entertaining the idea of an outdoor enclosure, but I live in Wisconsin, so it would only be a seasonal home.
It actually could do well outside and will brumate (hibernate) through the winter if you set the pond up properly. Painted turtles are one of the most cold tolerant turtles.

Berkeley

It actually could do well outside and will brumate (hibernate) through the winter if you set the pond up properly. Painted turtles are one of the most cold tolerant turtles.

Agreed. Mark is spot on in his replies. The painted turtle would do fine outside, even in Wisconsin.

--Berkeley

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
Agreed. Mark is spot on in his replies. The painted turtle would do fine outside, even in Wisconsin.

--Berkeley

True, but I'm not sure I am able to provide the proper enclosure anyway. Getting the wife's approval would likely prove an insurmountable challenge.

Berkeley

True, but I'm not sure I am able to provide the proper enclosure anyway. Getting the wife's approval would likely prove an insurmountable challenge.

Perhaps if you made something from a galvanized stock tank or 'commercial' pond, you could make it an attractive feature on a deck or patio. Waterlilies, potted cattails, the whole nine yards. My wife actually just asked me to build a small container garden as a focal point in front of our house, and told me I could put turtles in it once I got it planted. (That is on top of the other 25 tubs and stock tanks in the backyard- she just wanted something nice in the front of the house)

It's actually pretty easy. I've got to run now, but could provide some thoughts and ideas later on if you would like.

Good luck!
--Berkeley