Need Help Choosing a Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

schribby24

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
I've decided to get either a hermanns tortoise or a cherry head red foot tortoise. I know that these species have very different care requirements and I live in the Midwest so a hermanns tortoise would better suit the climate but I love the cherry head's size and color. I'm up for the challenge of keeping the cherry head's enclosure humid. This would be my first tortoise. Let me know what you think any fist hand experiences with either speicies, pros cons ect.

-schribby24

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MICHIGAN
I love the cherryheads...They are a little more maintence but they get to be nice size and are pretty.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are both great species, but I try to pick torts based on my climate. Its not impossible to do it in the wrong climate, it just a lot easier, year after year, if they are already suited to what you have. Think long term.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The two species that you considering do have different environmental needs. Climate really only comes into play if you are planning to keep your tortoise outdoors for part or all of the year. If you are planning on keeping your tortoise exclusively indoors then climate is much less of a consideration because you will be able to control your tortoises environment indoors much more easily. If you plan to keep your tortoise outdoors as much as possible based on warm weather and seasons the easier of the two in your Midwestern climate will be a Hermann's tortoise or other Northern Mediterranean species. It's not that Redfoots can't be kept outdoors in Midwestern or Northern climates but it will require more effort on the keepers part to ensure that the tortoises environmental needs are constantly monitored and met. A Hermann's tortoise will be able to spend far more time outdoors in your climate than a Redfoot will. For example, I live in the Catskill Mountains of New York State. My Northern Mediterranean tortoises, which includes Hermann's, are outdoors from about early April through mid October. Some of my very long term tortoises have actually never come indoors and have hibernated naturally outdoors for many years, despite very long winters with below freezing temperatures. On the flip side, my Redfoots can usually only go outdoors from early June to mid September because of the cold, damp spring and fall weather here.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
They are both great species, but I try to pick torts based on my climate. Its not impossible to do it in the wrong climate, it just a lot easier, year after year, if they are already suited to what you have. Think long term.

Agree w/ Tom/GB...get the tortoise that is native to a climate as similar as possible to your home, which, in this case, seems to be a Hermann's.

And while a Hermann's isn't as colorful as a Cherry-head, they make up for it in having a great, interactive personality...now, admittedly, I'm prejudiced in favor of Hermann's tortoises. :cool:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I guess I will play devil's advocate here and give another side of the story. Yes climate is a big thing and makes life easier for both you and your tortoise, however I read where your aware of the added challenges of the Cherry and since that is where your heart really is, I say go with the Cherry. I think if you don't follow your heart you will never be quite as happy and satisfied with the Hermanns. That feeling will slowly work it's way down to the care you give your animal I believe. Plus with as addictive as tortoises are, I would also make a bet in a short time, you would be getting a Cherry any how.

Did you ever say where in the Midwest you are? I am in Nebraska and my redfoot/cherryheads seem to do just fine for me here.

As for personal preference, I have both and I have a lot more of the Cherryheads because I like their personality and size better. The Hermanns have some beautiful shells, so they aren't "ugly" by any stretch, but to me I just like everything about the Cherryhead just a little bit more. They are worth the extra time, effort and expense.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I have a little Hermanns her shell is gorgous and she as a great personality i have wanted a hermanns since i was little so i woould tell u to go with your heart if its tell you you ant a cherryhead then go with it you have plenty of time to get the set up right before yu get it.

schribby24

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
I guess I will play devil's advocate here and give another side of the story. Yes climate is a big thing and makes life easier for both you and your tortoise, however I read where your aware of the added challenges of the Cherry and since that is where your heart really is, I say go with the Cherry. I think if you don't follow your heart you will never be quite as happy and satisfied with the Hermanns. That feeling will slowly work it's way down to the care you give your animal I believe. Plus with as addictive as tortoises are, I would also make a bet in a short time, you would be getting a Cherry any how.

Did you ever say where in the Midwest you are? I am in Nebraska and my redfoot/cherryheads seem to do just fine for me here.

As for personal preference, I have both and I have a lot more of the Cherryheads because I like their personality and size better. The Hermanns have some beautiful shells, so they aren't "ugly" by any stretch, but to me I just like everything about the Cherryhead just a little bit more. They are worth the extra time, effort and expense.

Specifically I'm in Minnesota. Thanks really appreciate the advice.

I would let the tortoise outside as much as i could during the spring summer and fall but I would bring the tortoise in during winter and at night because our neighborhood has a lot of nocturnal predators like foxes and raccoons ect. I have plenty of space for an indoor enclosure.

I've heard a lot about the hermann's great personality but what about the cherry head's personality is like.

-Schribby24

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It varies with the individual tortoise, how it was raised, and how you, the caretaker care for it and the time you spend with it. Some of mine come running like they actually want to see me (even tho, I am sure it's the food they are happy to see.:p) and some almost ignore me. However that is fine with me. I like the more natural behavior rather then my tortoises being and acting like "pets".

So I am sorry, but I think overall most all tortoise species CAN behave and have the same kind of personality. There are a few exceptions, like I think overall the winner of general personality does go to the sulcata. Between the Hermanns and the Cherry they to me, are almost the same personality with variations due to the listing I gave above in my very first sentence of this post.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
My thought is that you should get a Hermanns first, as you know climate wise its the best choice. Then, after you have some hands on tort experience, get the cherry head you really want. Trust me, reading, researching, and learning about tort keeping is nothing compared to actually having one.
I started with two leopard hatchlings, lost both of them, rescued a Russian, have been keeping him since June, and now feel so much more prepared for when I do get back into Leopards.

schribby24

5 Year Member
pugsandkids said:
My thought is that you should get a Hermanns first, as you know climate wise its the best choice. Then, after you have some hands on tort experience, get the cherry head you really want. Trust me, reading, researching, and learning about tort keeping is nothing compared to actually having one.
I started with two leopard hatchlings, lost both of them, rescued a Russian, have been keeping him since June, and now feel so much more prepared for when I do get back into Leopards.

That makes me second guess the cherry head because what if I cant care for it properly and it dies I would feel absolutely terrible.

chadk

10 Year Member!
If you use this site and are even a little intellegent and caring, you won't kill your tort :)

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
schribby24 said:
pugsandkids said:

That makes me second guess the cherry head because what if I cant care for it properly and it dies I would feel absolutely terrible.

Thats what I'd like to help you avoid. As Chad is trying to say in his post, you'll find sooo much info here. I researched and learned for months before I got my hatchlings. Once they were here though, I felt completely over my head. I was logged onto TFO perpetually, asking questions, and doubting everything I was doing. With Oscar I've been able to learn about tort keeping, without the added stress of hatchlings (or, in your case, constant climate monitoring)
Torts are very much like potato chips, its hard to stop at one. So I have no doubt you'll end up with the cherryhead you've been thinking of!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
My advice would be the same as some others.

1. Go with your heart. You can do Cherry-heads in Minnesota- they do them in Canada after all. By the time it gets big enough to need special indoor housing (a tort table or something) you will have gained more experience and ideas.

2. Most tortoises have some sort of personality. My 4 little Cherry-heads vary quite a bit between an adventurous one, an almost nocturnal one, a very shy one, and a pretty 'normal' one.

3. If everything else is equal in your mind, Hermann's are smaller, so easier to house; and more used to a cooler climate (although Cherry's do come from a region that has near-freezing temps some nights.)

I made the mistake of falling in love with Red-foots back in the late 70's. I'd had a lot of tortoises back then, but the Red-foots were always my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.