Need help choosing additional lighting for RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgoodman

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota, USA

Hello,

I am looking for some feedback on additional lighting for my RT.
His enclosure will be a 5' x 3' tort table. I have a MegaRay MVB on the way, and found these super interesting charts in an article I read a few days ago.

Screen%20shot%202013-07-12%20at%2011.55.57%20PM.png

Screen%20shot%202013-07-12%20at%2011.56.05%20PM.png

I am thinking about adding a regular fluorescent tube light for lighting only - 36 inch. I was also thinking of adding a 40 watt, regular incandescent bulb for a better CRI near his basking spot.

What do you think??

Since the 40 watt bulb puts off heat, I don't want to overdo it, as it would be near his MVB. I would like to have it for the CRI index - should I put it in a different location?

Thanks!!

tgoodman

5 Year Member
Minnesota, USA
Sorry about the non-photos. I wanted to see if my dropbox links would work, but looks like not. Here they are :)
chart1A_zps2f97d174.jpg

chart1B_zps60714e21.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can get him outside for some sun time every day for an hour or so, then you won't need the mvb for inside and then you could use the flourescent and the 40 watt. They like it pretty cool for night time. Also they do need to warm upto 85+ to properly digest their food, so you may need to up the 40 to a 60, it's all a trial and error game until you figure out what works for your area and enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.