Need help choosing where to buy a tortoise!

Mandi0327

Location (City and/or State)
Bismarck ND
Help!! I’m going to buy a tortoise but cannot decide who to buy from online. Reviews can be scary! Please help!!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
We have a lot of reputable breeders here, but in order to know who to point you towards, we need to know what species of tortoise...

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
I don't know enough about cherries, but someone should chime in soon. Make sure to take a look at the care sheets if you haven't already.

Mandi0327

Bismarck ND
I understand that they are a little more difficult to take care of...especially as my first tortoise. But I’m a 30 year old woman and have done my research and have been very serious about getting a tortoise for years

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If your looking for a Cherry head I'd highly recommend Tortstork. He's a nice guy and starts them right. That's where I got mine.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Yes, I had great communication with the owner when i was buying my Redfoot tortoise eggs! Super nice!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I understand that they are a little more difficult to take care of...especially as my first tortoise. But I’m a 30 year old woman and have done my research and have been very serious about getting a tortoise for years
Just be sure you do your research on this forum and this forum only. The info out on the internet is old, wrong or both.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Help!! I’m going to buy a tortoise but cannot decide who to buy from online. Reviews can be scary! Please help!!!
I would suggest NOT buying online. Find a breeder and buy directly. Ask questions about how they are started, fed and housed as babies.

Here is some general info to help you figure out the right questions.

Red foots and cherry heads don't do vey well where I am since its too hot and too dry most of the year, so I don't know of anyone breeding them that I can think of off hand. Sorry.

Joining the forum here and asking this question is about the best thing you could have done! :)

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I myself was going to do just that! But this stupid Covid 19 shutdown ended the reptile Expo neer me. Bummer. I forgot to look up when they are thinking of reopening the event....
I thought that eggs would be safer traveling in the mail right now than a hatchling. Am I wrong there....? The state of the mail service is worrying me. Lots of people saying that there packages are being delayed or lost in shipping(!!!)But I have been setting up my expanded tortoise room for a while now. My babies arrived safe and sound over night.
One of my redfoot eggs is hatching right now! I saw her little face poke out a couple of times! So cool!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hatchling are more complicated to take care of, I personally would think about a yearling or at least 6 months old. Especially for a first tortoise.my opinion