Need help deciding if Pancake needs beak and nail trim.

Pancake88

Location (City and/or State)
US
My 10 year old Pancake has never had a nail or beak trim. I am wondering if it is time for one. Nearest vet that handles tortoises is hour and half away cost will be $60 health checkup, $15 nail trim, and $20 beak trim. Looking at the photos can you tell if a trim is needed or if everything is good to continue without one?

Thanks in advance.

oXrcGIC.jpg
3sSnI9D.jpg
qs23x3M.jpg
Ea4YoMK.jpg
8OnXNZh.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My 10 year old Pancake has never had a nail or beak trim. I am wondering if it is time for one. Nearest vet that handles tortoises is hour and half away cost will be $60 health checkup, $15 nail trim, and $20 beak trim. Looking at the photos can you tell if a trim is needed or if everything is good to continue without one?

Thanks in advance.

oXrcGIC.jpg
3sSnI9D.jpg
qs23x3M.jpg
Ea4YoMK.jpg
8OnXNZh.jpg

What type of lighting (UVA/B) are you using? do you change the bulb/uv source out at least twice a year? What surface do you provide for the tort to walk across/over to allow for self maintenance on the beak and nails....?

Pancake88

US
What type of lighting (UVA/B) are you using? do you change the bulb/uv source out at least twice a year? What surface do you provide for the tort to walk across/over to allow for self maintenance on the beak and nails....?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006L10NY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 (18 Inch T8 Zilla Slimline 50 UVB Desert Fixture) - I have never had to change the light as the bulb has never gone out. It runs for about 14 hours a day.

Check out https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-pancake-tortoise-indoor-enclosure.167686/#post-1632293 I just posted the new enclosure. But the tortoise has always had rocks and turtle bones in the enclosure.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006L10NY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 (18 Inch T8 Zilla Slimline 50 UVB Desert Fixture) - I have never had to change the light as the bulb has never gone out. It runs for about 14 hours a day.

Check out https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-pancake-tortoise-indoor-enclosure.167686/#post-1632293 I just posted the new enclosure. But the tortoise has always had rocks and turtle bones in the enclosure.
Uvb lights only put out uvb for about six months and then they need to be replaced. Just because it's coming on doesn't mean it's putting out uvb. Also it definitely looks like your tort needs his beak and nails trimmed.

Pancake88

US
Good to know about the UVB, I will order another today. I have watched a few videos about beak and nail trim. Is this something I should attempt myself or do those prices for the vet visit seem reasonable?

Pancake88

US
Should also mention the temperature above the hot hide is around 100-104F. The cool side stays indoor temp so around 72F.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

The reason that I asked....the beak and the way the nails are growing appear that the tort has not been receiving appropriate UVB exposure.....the way the beak is growing shows that the tort is really needing a new bulb super fast ...even more than worry about trimming.....I would go now and get a new bulb....somewhere note on a calendar 6 months from that install date and be certain to then replace with a new bulb....

I asked about adding more flat rock hides because these guys like to climb up and slide into rock formations....not only a single layer rock hide.... :)

Pancake88

US
The reason that I asked....the beak and the way the nails are growing appear that the tort has not been receiving appropriate UVB exposure.....the way the beak is growing shows that the tort is really needing a new bulb super fast ...even more than worry about trimming.....I would go now and get a new bulb....somewhere note on a calendar 6 months from that install date and be certain to then replace with a new bulb....

I asked about adding more flat rock hides because these guys like to climb up and slide into rock formations....not only a single layer rock hide.... :)

Already ordered a new bulb will be here this week, thanks for the heads up about the UVB lights.

zovick

10 Year Member!

Thanks in advance.

oXrcGIC.jpg
3sSnI9D.jpg
qs23x3M.jpg
Ea4YoMK.jpg
8OnXNZh.jpg

Your tortoise's beak is overgrown and needs to be trimmed, especially the front and the left side. Some of the nails need trimming as well

Pancake88

US
Your tortoise's beak is overgrown and needs to be trimmed, especially the front and the left side. Some of the nails need trimming as well

Yup going by the responses that is the plan. I have my vet visit set up for early August. Thanks for the feedback.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup going by the responses that is the plan. I have my vet visit set up for early August. Thanks for the feedback.

Also understand that the lack of uvb can aide in deforming the beak growth as well as the nails....that is mostly what I am seeing here....that was the reason for the bulb question....happy to hear you are handling that already :)

Kasia

Poland

You can do it by yourself, search forum for beak or nail trimming and you will find loads of threads :) Try it's not so hard...Good luck