Need help deciding which enclosure to build

fergusaur

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
Hi! I’m currently in the process of getting a new enclosure for my tortoise as he’s outgrown his current one. He’s a hermann’s tortoise and is 1 and half years old. I wanted to ask would it be better to make one that’s 6ft long and 2 ft wide or make one that’s around 4ft long (44 inches to be exact) and 3ft wide? It’s between those two options due to the space I have in my room at the moment. His current enclosure is 3ft long and 2ft wide and I don’t know which one to pick because he’s scratching at the walls so I’m hesitant to make it longer only for it to be the same width
The amount of total area is similar between the 2 so maybe I’m thinking too much about it but I’m not sure. I’m just worried that if I make it longer without increasing the width he’ll just continue to scratch at the walls but I’m not sure, maybe I’m just overthinking it.

Attachments

• 885AB0E2-D16E-4711-8452-91CA2E235131.jpeg
    885AB0E2-D16E-4711-8452-91CA2E235131.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 9B2FCA45-F5EA-4254-9F41-6C54323785D9.jpeg
    9B2FCA45-F5EA-4254-9F41-6C54323785D9.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd go 6x2. He will outgrow this in another year, so start planning ahead. Eventually you will need a heated shelter for outside to get him through the spring and fall, and you can brumate him over the winter. The shelter is also good for summer to protect him from night predators. I lock my tortoises in every night, and let them out every morning. Or you can just build ever bigger indoor enclosures if you prefer to go that route.

fergusaur

Today is my birthday!
Delaware
I'd go 6x2. He will outgrow this in another year, so start planning ahead. Eventually you will need a heated shelter for outside to get him through the spring and fall, and you can brumate him over the winter. The shelter is also good for summer to protect him from night predators. I lock my tortoises in every night, and let them out every morning. Or you can just build ever bigger indoor enclosures if you prefer to go that route.
My tortoise is kept indoors so is 6x2 still the best choice ? I’m just scared the width won’t be enough which is why I was debating the 4x3 cause the width would be wider but since 6x2 is more area overall would that be better ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise is kept indoors so is 6x2 still the best choice ? I’m just scared the width won’t be enough which is why I was debating the 4x3 cause the width would be wider but since 6x2 is more area overall would that be better ?
Bigger is better, and a 6 foot run is better than a 4 foot run.