need help for greek habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

orion8511

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston,Tx
this is Kratos in his home (attachment bellow), i dont really know what to put in it because he keeps knocking everything down. he had artificial plants but he ruined them by climbing over them. i want to make it as close to a wild habitat as possible. (dont mind the cuttle bone, just finished cleaning his box)

thanks A.P.:cool:

Attachments

• kratos.jpg
    kratos.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 100

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
well, first of all, is that wood shavings? i would get rid of that. i would definitely change the substrate. I personally like to use coco coir/husk. have it about 2 -3 inc. deep so they can dig down. once that in mind, you can use the substrate itself to plant things so she wouldnt know it down. the substrate should support that. use plastic plants for decor.

oh, reason why i dont like to use wood shavings because its super dry. hard to maintain humidity. just an fyi but to each its own.

orion8511

5 Year Member
Houston,Tx
its aspen shavings, i use it for easy humidity management and spot cleaning. humidity wise this little guy is supposed to be at 30% so the substrate keeps it at that level and pretty dry since he comes from a deserty type environment. i also tried the coco coir/husk when i first got him, he didnt really like it as it got in his eyes and in his shell. but i didnt know you plant things with it though definitely have to try that out. thanks

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Yes, they may come from a desert type environment but they don't spend their lives in the driest part of that environment. They live in burrows that are very humid. Your tortoise needs the humidity or at least a humid area that it has access to. I've been breeding greek tortoises for many years and when given the choice they (especially young ones) tend to try and bury themselves in a warm damp spot, never a dry one. When kept on only dry substrate they will not grow smooth and tend to pyramid much more.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
yeah, I would get rid of the wood stuff as well.

I would use at least 6 inches deep of peat moss (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Premier-3-cu-ft-Peat-Moss-70976040/100626048#.UehA7WT71yE)

And you can also hang/adhere plants from above to create a plant canopy--this way there are plants around the perimeter, without the mow down hassle for the person (lol)....the plants offer an environment a touch more natural for the tort--they love them to hide under...

I also would set up a warm humid hide that your tort can easily utilize when he has the need to juicy up some :D

orion8511

5 Year Member
Houston,Tx
great info guys, thanks a lot!!! i will definitely try everything. as far as the space, is that good for him?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
orion8511 said:
great info guys, thanks a lot!!! i will definitely try everything. as far as the space, is that good for him?

The bigger the better!!! Something I would suggest, outdoor enclosure. They love to roam around. In they wild they tend to roam around for hours. That is why I suggested the outdoor enclosure. But make sure you read up on it before building one.

orion8511

5 Year Member
Houston,Tx
Jlant85 said:
orion8511 said:

The bigger the better!!! Something I would suggest, outdoor enclosure. They love to roam around. In they wild they tend to roam around for hours. That is why I suggested the outdoor enclosure. But make sure you read up on it before building one.

I live in an apartment so that cant really happen :/ not to mention my patio gets no sun

theelectraco

5 Year Member
It is far too small in my opinion.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I also noticed....when you said you used coco coir and it got all over his eyes and in his shell....dear, remember that we are discussing a tortoise---of which live on and in the dirt :D

Have you changed out the wood substrate yet? did you replace it with a earth type substrate ---about 5-6 inches deep? :D

Yes, a larger enclosure should be your goal (since you said that this is his only space) however, you are lucky that this species is a little smaller so if you really do up the enclosure your tort will be less apt to try to climb everything in frustration....

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Dan said:
For an indoor cage I'd recommend a cage about four times the size of the one you have. An outdoor enclosure is even better, weather permitting, and should be even larger. Even if you don't get direct sun, so long as you can see sky from your patio you'll get more UVB than would probably be available indoors with lights in your closet.

Couldn't have said it better than myself. Just be careful though, you want to board up the railings so she can't climb it. I bet the patio is still bigger than your regular enclosure. Just make it a day place for him to hang loose and bring him in at night. Can you post a pic of the patio so we can further give you ideas?

orion8511

5 Year Member
Houston,Tx
My patio has no room for him now let alone a bigger home. Im also scared to put him out there because cats get in there since i live on the 1st floor also scared someone might steal him. As far as a new cage i wont have the money for a while so that's gonna have to wait a bit. But substrate will definitely change soon.

I will post a pic of my patio tomorrow to see what you guys think.

Status
Not open for further replies.