Need help identifying baby...

zovick

10 Year Member!
I agree with those who say Pacific Pond Turtle (aka Western Pond Turtle). Here is a video of some being raised at an Oregon zoo:

These babies look very much like the one in the photos posted by CourtsTorts.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Actually not a totally bad quess. Very few baby turtles have tails that long like a snapper. Normally a give-a-way for one of the old "Clemmys" genus turtles - wood, spotted, or pacific pond.

And the Bog Turtle (the old Clemmy muhlenbergii) as well.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
And the Bog Turtle (the old Clemmy muhlenbergii) as well.
Yes! That makes out my old favorite four, but I didn't list the bog as it is so rare it is never seen in collections or almost never in the wild now. I think I have only seen perhaps 3 in person in my life.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yes! That makes out my old favorite four, but I didn't list the bog as it is so rare it is never seen in collections or almost never in the wild now. I think I have only seen perhaps 3 in person in my life.

Well, you need to move east! I know of four swamps/bogs in NY and CT where I have found all three of the eastern species of the old genus Clemmys. A couple of these sites are only a few miles from some populations of Blanding's Turtles. I have never found Blandings Turtles in the same bogs or swamps with the three Clemmys species.

I envy you because I have never found a Western Pond Turtle since I have never lived or collected specimens further west than CO.

In NY state, I marked 30 Bog Turtles in one single population in a huge limestone bog. In 2004, I found a female which I had originally marked in 1975, and she was only about 20 feet from the site where she was first captured.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
That turtle came to you for a reason. Keep it, head start it well, and don't tell anyone what it is. If you don't ever let it be exposed to any other turtles, you can release it in a suitable nearby body of water when its bigger and not so easy to swallow.
?