Need help identifying bugs (are they mites?)

Ixorya

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Hi guys,

I recently found what I thought were mites in my bag of mazuri. I threw the bag out, but I think the enclosure was compromised. Are these mites? And are these harmful to my tortoise (Indian Star)?

Here's a video of one moving (there are a lot more):

And here's a bunch dead trying to drink water..?
IMG_20220814_115522.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hm-m-m-m. . . you say they were in the bag of Mazuri? I was going to say they were harmless detrivore, however, you usually find those in MOIST areas and I'm sure your bag of food should have been very dry. Look up springtails and see if that's what you have

Ixorya

Earth
They are a lot smaller than springtails. The springtails I saw online were all approx 1mm. These are the size of a pour over coffee grounds. Like powder. Finer than sand. (I can't think of a good analogy for the size)

My only concern is if they are harmful to the torts.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Maybe grain or flour mite? I doubt they're harmful.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Definitely not harmful regardless of the exact ID. I would have just resealed the mazuri into smaller containers & tossed into the freezer. I too think they might be Flour Mites

➡️ The flour mite, Acarus siro, a pest of stored grains and animal feedstuffs, is one of many species of grain and flour mites. An older name for the species is Tyroglyphus farinae. The flour mite, which is pale greyish white in colour with pink legs, is the most common species of mite in foodstuffs. Wikipedia

Ixorya

Earth
Thank you all!

As long as they are not harmful I feel slightly better. I am definitely gonna do a major clean (soak substrate in hot water, etc) soon though. 😂

I also reaslied I should not be storing the mazuri near the enclosure since the enclosure's humidity is kept high... 🤦‍♀️

Thanks again people! :D

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you all!

As long as they are not harmful I feel slightly better. I am definitely gonna do a major clean (soak substrate in hot water, etc) soon though. 😂

I also reaslied I should not be storing the mazuri near the enclosure since the enclosure's humidity is kept high... 🤦‍♀️

Thanks again people! :D

Yes, good idea. I always repackage our 25lb bags into smaller tupperware containers & put them all into the freezer. Stores for a long time this way. Keeps the critters away.

Ixorya

Earth
Yes, good idea. I always repackage our 25lb bags into smaller tupperware containers & put them all into the freezer. Stores for a long time this way. Keeps the critters away.
Oh my, great idea! I have a new bag and will definitely do that to that bag! Thank you! :D