need help identifying tortoise (pictures enclosed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

5 Year Member
I need help identifying this tortoise i recently acquired. One vet says she's a Russian and another says its a Desert. I've posted some pictures and hopefully someone can help identify this darling tortoise of mine..
thanks in advance
niki

photo.JPG
photo-1.JPG
photo-2.JPG
photo-3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Niki

5 Year Member
Laura said:
good size ? russian.. trying to eat calcium out of that sea shell!
how did you come across her?

A friend of mine had to move into apartment,so I took her. She said it was a Desert, I took her to a vet and one said Russian then her colleague said no, its a desert. Yes, she tried to eat that sea shell! Do I feed her calcium? I really was hoping she was a Desert bc I live in AZ and her enclosure is outside.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
my russina lives outside 24/7. so yours can too.
yes, she needs calcium. get a Cuttle bone. its sold for birds. you can give it to her whole or scrape it over her greens.
she looks good. any idea how old she is?
if you post picks of her underside, we can tell you boy or girl.

M

Maggie Cummings

She's (if she IS actually a she) is a Russian. No doubt about that to me.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
They both look Russian to me. I think they'll do equally well, there in Arizona. Welcome to TFO. :D

Niki

5 Year Member
Ok... Taking pic of her underside now. So, can I put her outside now? She hibernated for 2 months in my garage ( just woke up last week) I have been bringing her in at night bc it's in the 40's at night. I actually had a heat lamp on her. She spends days outside eating and basking in sun. I am also going to send pic of her enclosure. Thanks again for help... I was told Russians couldn't take the Az summers outside? Is this true?

Here's a picture of her underbelly and her enclosure...

photo.JPG

photo1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its a girl! lucky you..
and nice yard.. make sure there is plenty of shade in the hot arizona summer.. and russians are escape artisits. they can climb well and get out of small areas.

for safety from predators... day and night.. you may want to cover that area with wire mesh of somesort..

Niki

5 Year Member
Laura said:
its a girl! lucky you..
and nice yard.. make sure there is plenty of shade in the hot arizona summer.. and russians are escape artisits. they can climb well and get out of small areas.

for safety from predators... day and night.. you may want to cover that area with wire mesh of somesort..

Thats good....her name is Greta..i just started planting, so going to add a larger shrub for shade.The fencing is 6 inches deep. I will definitely put something over it, not sure what thats going to be. So, can I keep her outside now? Or do I wait until its warmer at night? And I know I am redundant....but she is ok when the temp gets 115 in summer? Thanks again!

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Being Winter here, I have mine inside. When the weather gets decent, I have them outside, but our night temps usually drop to the 40's, so I bring them in at night. Myself, if the temps didn't get much lower than 60, I would consider leaving them out (covered) 24/7.

Niki

5 Year Member
Utah Lynn said:
Being Winter here, I have mine inside. When the weather gets decent, I have them outside, but our night temps usually drop to the 40's, so I bring them in at night. Myself, if the temps didn't get much lower than 60, I would consider leaving them out (covered) 24/7.

Sounds good.. I will continue to bring her in at night. I am going to have to figure a way to cover that enclosure. Thanks.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
People sometimes refer to russians as desert box turtles, so I can understand the confusion ( maybe not from a vet though). Nice looking big female russian you have there.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
She sure is we'll, voluptuous :D and very beautiful to boot...I would second capping that area so she does not get out as well....

mule88Day

5 Year Member
I also have a desert... Thats a Russian tortoise. I have 6 Russians- 4 female & 2 male, 2 female sulcata's, and a desert. Not too mention 3 box turtles .

Status
Not open for further replies.