need help in which tortoise to buy!!!

lj82

Location (City and/or State)
bridgwater
I'm a beginner and I'm doing the research before I purchase a tortoise but which one is best for a beginner and why??
I've been looking at a Hermann and horsefield which one do you think will be best for me
much appreciated
lisa

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome Lisa!

The Hermanni are so beautiful! We have a very good care sheet on them pinned at the top of our Hermanns section. Be sure to read that along with Tom's reference to the Russian tortoise care sheet shown in his post (Russian = Horsefield's)

tgirl23

Southern California
I'm a beginner and I'm doing the research before I purchase a tortoise but which one is best for a beginner and why??
I've been looking at a Hermann and horsefield which one do you think will be best for me
much appreciated
lisa

I vote for the Hermann! But those are both great beginner tortoises. I've read that Russians are a little more hardier than Hermann but they really like to burrow and climb so your enclosure needs to be escape proof. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Try and get one from a breeder instead of a pet store if you can. Good luck! You will fall in love quickly!