1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

need help in which tortoise to buy!!!

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by lj82, Nov 7, 2017.

1. lj82

lj82 New Member

I'm a beginner and I'm doing the research before I purchase a tortoise but which one is best for a beginner and why??
    I've been looking at a Hermann and horsefield which one do you think will be best for me
    much appreciated
    lisa
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

Welcome Lisa!

The Hermanni are so beautiful! We have a very good care sheet on them pinned at the top of our Hermanns section. Be sure to read that along with Tom's reference to the Russian tortoise care sheet shown in his post (Russian = Horsefield's)
  4. tgirl23

tgirl23 New Member

I vote for the Hermann! But those are both great beginner tortoises. I've read that Russians are a little more hardier than Hermann but they really like to burrow and climb so your enclosure needs to be escape proof. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Try and get one from a breeder instead of a pet store if you can. Good luck! You will fall in love quickly!