Need Help! My tortoise is growing extremely slow!

ElsieReptile

Location (City and/or State)
menifee
Hello! So 4 years ago my older brother bought a sulcata tortoise from a reptile store. He was told it was the runt. Brought it home and set up its cage. I received the little guy in my care 2 years ago. Hes now 4 years old an the size of a 1 year old sulcata tortoise. Hes fed different types of greens daily but seems to only take to lettuce and tortoise pellets I've even added calcium into his food and tried to feed him strawberries and watermelon etc and he just doesnt seem to like any of it. He had a heat lamp but then I was told that wasnt good and I've ordered a uvb light and I'm hoping that helps in some way but I dont think that's the only problem. I get him outside daily letting him soak in the sun for a few hours. I'm concerned something might be wrong tho hes 4 years old and just barely in width bigger then my hand. Any advice?? Really want this guy to thrive hes the only tortoise I've ever had in my care and I want to see him thriving and growing

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Last edited:

Jeanettics

Sacramento, CA
You should include pictures so the more experienced members have a better idea how your tortoise is doing. Good luck!

ElsieReptile

menifee
Hello! So 4 years ago my older brother bought a sulcata tortoise from a reptile store. He was told it was the runt. Brought it home and set up its cage. I received the little guy in my care 2 years ago. Hes now 4 years old an the size of a 1 year old sulcata tortoise. Hes fed different types of greens daily but seems to only take to lettuce and tortoise pellets I've even added calcium into his food and tried to feed him strawberries and watermelon etc and he just doesnt seem to like any of it. He had a heat lamp but then I was told that wasnt good and I've ordered a uvb light and I'm hoping that helps in some way but I dont think that's the only problem. I get him outside daily letting him soak in the sun for a few hours. I'm concerned something might be wrong tho hes 4 years old and just barely in width bigger then my hand. Any advice?? Really want this guy to thrive hes the only tortoise I've ever had in my care and I want to see him thriving and growing

Attachments

• Snapchat-1098463274.jpg
    Snapchat-1098463274.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200505_141301.jpg
    20200505_141301.jpg
    775.5 KB · Views: 17