Need help! New redfoot owner

Nicoled

Hi everyone, I'm so grateful to find this app!
I am a proud new owner of a handsome, small to mid sized Redfoot named Dovey, whom I am in love with. :) I think he's about two years old. I got him two weeks ago.

I don't know much about tortoises, but I don't think his previous owner took care of him like he should have. He has terrible pyramiding on his shell and his right eye is bubbly. The terrarium that he came with is open on the top so I don't think he's got enough humidity. I spray the substrate down at least five times a day and he has a "bath tub" that is big enough for him, but I've only seen him go in once in the two weeks I have had him.

Tonight I gave him a warm-ish bath in my tub, he had a poop that resembled cat poop, then about four runnier poops. (This is the first poop I've noticed from him in two weeks). Is this normal? When I first put him back in his house he was wheezing a bit and trying to climb the glass wall, he has since settled down. I sincerely hope I haven't traumatized him with the bath.

Also, I've been looking to find what amount of food I should be feeding him daily. All I can find is vegetable:fruit:protein ratios, not an actual amount.

I really appreciate any tips and help you can give me, and I look forward to seeing everyone's awesome pets!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1390883812.889463.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1390883812.889463.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 29

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). A good read for you is the tortoiselibary.com. It's a forum members site and great for RF owners, among others.