Need help picking out an indoor enclosure

Cole McNabb

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Hi I'm eagerly waiting to purchase my first tortoise(s), the only thing that is stopping me is the fact that I have yet to find the perfect indoor enclosure. I need the enclosure to be minimally 48" x 24" x 8". I found a tortoise table at PetandTortoiseWorld.com called Camelot that seems like it would be sufficient but it would be shipping to Kentucky all the way from England and it would cost about $350. If anyone on here has any cheaper or better ideas for an indoor enclosure set up, please share with me, I would love some advice on this matter. Keep in mind that I'm not handy and cannot build anything myself. Thanks!!!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
hello, Look into bookshelfs. On craigslist you can find some old ones for free, or cheap. You can then turn it on its back and line it. They are usually affordable options. You can also add to the book shelf if needed. There are stock tubs too that work great but are a little pricey. Building one from scratch is always an option as well.

Kyle

Cole McNabb

Kentucky
hello, Look into bookshelfs. On craigslist you can find some old ones for free, or cheap. You can then turn it on its back and line it. They are usually affordable options. You can also add to the book shelf if needed. There are stock tubs too that work great but are a little pricey. Building one from scratch is always an option as well.

Kyle
So how would I go about lining a bookshelf? Sorry that might be a dumb question, I just have no idea how to do that. And what is a stock tub? Thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it!!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
So how would I go about lining a bookshelf? Sorry that might be a dumb question, I just have no idea how to do that. And what is a stock tub? Thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it!!
you can use pond liner and some people even have success with shower curtains. They make water based stains that water seal which is a little more challanging. I would use a shower curtain or pond liner. A stock tub is what they use on farms for water. If you google Rubbermaid stock tubs it can give you a idea. they come in 50, 100, 300,600, gallons even bigger if you wanted.

Kyle

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC

Kyle

Hi there...best bet is build one to your customizations and what space allows you too...I made mine out of plywood for my redfoot...those are examples of how to make an enclosed chambers...also on youtube, look up ernest johnson....love his designs..btw, what type of tortoise are you getting?

Attachments

• Indoor-Redfoot-Habitat-1.jpg
    Indoor-Redfoot-Habitat-1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 31
  • mwza8o.jpg
    mwza8o.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 29

Erik Elvis

Delaware
If you wanted to go a more expensive route if you don’t feel like building you could combine 2 zoo med tortoise homes for a 24x72” enclosure. They’re made to connect. You will have to figure how to keep humidity up depending on the species you pick though.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi there...best bet is build one to your customizations and what space allows you too...I made mine out of plywood for my redfoot...those are examples of how to make an enclosed chambers...also on youtube, look up ernest johnson....love his designs..btw, what type of tortoise are you getting?
Wonderful! Thanks for posting.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The first thing to determine is what species and size tortoise we are talking about. This will determine what type of enclosure you need.

None of the "normal" enclosures for sale in pet stores are suitable for tortoises. Poorly designed for our needs and they don't work, just like most other pet store products for tortoises. Most people build their own enclosures. If that isn't your thing, you can buy one here:
http://www.apcages.com/home/terrestrial/terrestrial.htm
These come in white or black and are impervious to water damage, which is always the problem with wood. These closed chambers will make it easy to maintain whatever conditions your chosen species needs.

Cole McNabb

Kentucky
An Eastern Hermann or Western Hermann. Thanks for the reply!!

Cole McNabb

Kentucky
The first thing to determine is what species and size tortoise we are talking about. This will determine what type of enclosure you need.

None of the "normal" enclosures for sale in pet stores are suitable for tortoises. Poorly designed for our needs and they don't work, just like most other pet store products for tortoises. Most people build their own enclosures. If that isn't your thing, you can buy one here:
http://www.apcages.com/home/terrestrial/terrestrial.htm
These come in white or black and are impervious to water damage, which is always the problem with wood. These closed chambers will make it easy to maintain whatever conditions your chosen species needs.
I will be getting either an Eastern Hermann or a Western Hermann. Thank you so much for the reply I really appreciate it!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
How much space can you afford the little one? Here are some more examples of homemade ones!

Attachments

• bd26211fc8fc7629ea2faffd6bf02155.jpg
    bd26211fc8fc7629ea2faffd6bf02155.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 02d5a7616b25fddd6f1c08fa97a3dc4c--tortoise-house-tortoise-habitat.jpg
    02d5a7616b25fddd6f1c08fa97a3dc4c--tortoise-house-tortoise-habitat.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 22