Need help some substance on the lining of my salcata tortoise belly.

Nathancantuu

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Really concerned of what this might be 3 of the new baby tortoise got this problem. I think it is fungus, probably not but the stuff accumulated there is hard and rocky type substance. Is this something that baby salcata tortoises are born with and usually falls within time or is this something I should be concerned about? Anyways this is the picture of worst one the other one seems to not have anything almost, it’s slightly visible and just a circle (don’t know if it’s is new or old) but I got these 3 tortoises from a reputable breeder instead March and they were born late feb. so they were a month old when I got them and now 2 month old since they been born. I have had them for a month but it seems like this stuff won’t fade so I come here to seek out answers. If I need some type of medicine or go to a vet let me know but follow up with something it might be or it is. So I know what to get him or research more upon it and be able to understand it more. Thank you

36D8896A-2704-4C12-A8DC-AFC29AED5F10.jpegB7FB96BD-BC40-4611-801B-A98B8A7FB1A7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The pics are too blurry, but the lower mark is where the yolk sac sticks out when they hatch.

Most breeders make the mistake of leaving them in the incubator too long, or putting them in an enclosure too soon, skipping the brooder box which would have allowed the tortoise to properly absorb its yolk sac and close up the umbilical scar.

The "reputable" breeder you bought from doesn't know how to start babies correctly. If you leave it alone, it will eventual heal up and fade away. It is not fungus and does not need any treatment.

Give this a read through. If the breeder didn't know how to use a brooder box, then he/she probably gave you a bunch of other bad/incorrect care info too.