Need help taking care of russian tortoise, its a male and about 7 inches tall

xlc

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
I live in dubai, where it regularly gets over 50C in temperature, I just keep him outside near my pool where he sits under the slide usually to cool off, I need to know what to properly feed it for nutrition, how to make a proper enclosure, also one of his eyes seem to be blind, its cloudy and he can barely see out of it, it seems he is a rescue and I need to know how to take care of it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in dubai, where it regularly gets over 50C in temperature, I just keep him outside near my pool where he sits under the slide usually to cool off, I need to know what to properly feed it for nutrition, how to make a proper enclosure, also one of his eyes seem to be blind, its cloudy and he can barely see out of it, it seems he is a rescue and I need to know how to take care of it
Hello and welcome. Read these:

Also, it would be good to post a picture so we can verify the species for you.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome to the forum! We look forward to sharing information with you and would love to see some pictures of your tortoise. Thanks for coming here! 🙂

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I would get these things sorted out first:

1. This would be the first course of action as it is so hot over there. Providing proper shade:

2. Then I suggest you get a unglazed terracotta saucer (meant for plant pots) your tortoise can fit in and fill it with water.

3. When it is that hot I recommend soaking your tortoise daily in a high sided plastic container. Keep the water luke warm. Don't do this in direct sunlight to avoid overheating. I do mine for about 30 minutes.

xlc

Dubai

Also, it would be good to post a picture so we can verify the species for you

Also, it would be good to post a picture so we can verify the species for you.
Here are the pictures, his diet consists of white chicory, radiccio, kale and arugula all organic and pesticide/herbicide free

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here are the pictures, his diet consists of white chicory, radiccio, kale and arugula all organic and pesticide/herbicide free
Your pictures didn't attach.

Those 4 food items are all good, but you need MUCH more variety than that. Best to use more natural foods, but if you must use grocery store produce, you need to be adding amendments to it. All of that is explained in the threads I linked for you in post number 2 above.

xlc

Dubai
What can I use for variety?? I also give him kale and romaine lettuce with it, he is fed every 2
days a large amount

Your pictures didn't attach.

Those 4 food items are all good, but you need MUCH more variety than that. Best to use more natural foods, but if you must use grocery store produce, you need to be adding amendments to it. All of that is explained in the threads I linked for you in post number 2 above.
9545C65F-F26B-4DF8-BAAB-1505AEAF476E.jpeg

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
That redness does not look abnormal to me. I think it is all right and just part of that tortoise's normal coloration.

The tortoise appears to be dehydrated, though, and I second the recommendation to soak it daily.
What do you think about the eyes