Need help to identify turtle illness and what medication to administer

Muffindog

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi, I have a diamondback terrapin that died because of an illness that I am unable to identify. He was suddenly floating on the pond lifeless with all of his skin covered with things like (maybe) fungi.
Several days ago his skin seemed normal, but he was basking more often than usual, about 90% on land and 10% in the water. He was still eating, but less than normal.
About a month before that, my mississippi map turtle which is in the same pond as the diamondback terrapin also got skin problem and was lethargic until today. I took him to the vet, the vet said nothing’s wrong with the turtle, he told me to keep the enclosure temperature warm and stable with frequent water changes, I followed the instructions with no good result. It is very hard to find reptile vet in the place that I live, so I can’t ask for other reptile vet’s opinion.

I suspected this may be due to my pond is overpopulated so that the water quality is bad. I have taken measurement by separating the turtles to different enclosures. But right now, I really need to know what really happened to my turtles and what can I do to fix this, what medications should I give and the dosage. Because it seems that another turtle is starting to develop the same symptoms as the dead diamondback terrapin.
I will attach photos of the dead diamondback terrapin here.
Thank you.

Attachments

• F8D4443E-4215-4AAF-B6EE-456C54910A6D.jpeg
    F8D4443E-4215-4AAF-B6EE-456C54910A6D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 466B2B13-27C9-4AA2-9914-48DBDD6168A1.jpeg
    466B2B13-27C9-4AA2-9914-48DBDD6168A1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • C1FF522F-D51B-4A7F-AE90-CF4B6B7A5825.jpeg
    C1FF522F-D51B-4A7F-AE90-CF4B6B7A5825.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • A5DC38CD-CFA9-478B-8A6E-64A6330ABD4A.jpeg
    A5DC38CD-CFA9-478B-8A6E-64A6330ABD4A.jpeg
    976.7 KB · Views: 18
  • CE85F78C-4553-4410-94A5-95AA7359B3E9.jpeg
    CE85F78C-4553-4410-94A5-95AA7359B3E9.jpeg
    995.4 KB · Views: 17
  • AC27420D-7D33-4822-AD43-F32F8A9D57B4.jpeg
    AC27420D-7D33-4822-AD43-F32F8A9D57B4.jpeg
    933.2 KB · Views: 17
  • D3BC4787-044D-4000-B69B-919335172479.jpeg
    D3BC4787-044D-4000-B69B-919335172479.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • 11099158-B506-495C-85AA-668C36A8F831.jpeg
    11099158-B506-495C-85AA-668C36A8F831.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hi, I have a diamondback terrapin that died because of an illness that I am unable to identify. He was suddenly floating on the pond lifeless with all of his skin covered with things like (maybe) fungi.
Several days ago his skin seemed normal, but he was basking more often than usual, about 90% on land and 10% in the water. He was still eating, but less than normal.
About a month before that, my mississippi map turtle which is in the same pond as the diamondback terrapin also got skin problem and was lethargic until today. I took him to the vet, the vet said nothing’s wrong with the turtle, he told me to keep the enclosure temperature warm and stable with frequent water changes, I followed the instructions with no good result. It is very hard to find reptile vet in the place that I live, so I can’t ask for other reptile vet’s opinion.

I suspected this may be due to my pond is overpopulated so that the water quality is bad. I have taken measurement by separating the turtles to different enclosures. But right now, I really need to know what really happened to my turtles and what can I do to fix this, what medications should I give and the dosage. Because it seems that another turtle is starting to develop the same symptoms as the dead diamondback terrapin.
I will attach photos of the dead diamondback terrapin here.
Thank you.
This is definitely a fungus infection. Not sure if the exact one though. It is do to water quality so you may need a stronger pump. The best thing to do is to completely drain the pond and clean, and also treat all the turtles. There are two products I recommend for treatment I will leave a link for on Amazon.

API Turtle Products: Sludge Remover to Clean Aquarium, Water Conditioner to Make Tap Water Safe for Turtles, TURTLEFIX Remedy to treat bacterial infections and repair damaged tissue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ESBHN02/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

API SUPER ICK CURE Fish remedy, Quickly treats "ich" white spot disease, Use when symptoms of ich diseases appear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FFQBKSX/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

There is also acriflavine for fish you can use

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
Like DoubleD1996! said, this is undoubtedly a fungal infection as a result of poor water quality. Do a water change 25% in your pond every week if you can. If any other turtles show symptoms of this infection, quarintine and dry dock them until it is cleared. I'm not a vet so I can't recommend any heavy medication for them.

Muffindog

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hi guys, thank you for the reply.
Ok so this is a very severe fungal infection then. I have started to give all the other turtles Acrivlafine and brushed them all with Povidone Iodine and I dry dock them at night. Until now only one of them is more severe, it has some kind of thick flakes on its skin, and if I brushed it or rubbed it using cotton bud, it peeled off but the skin started to bleed on certain spots… This is really frustrating but I know I have to hold on… If only there were reptile vets here…

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hi guys, thank you for the reply.
Ok so this is a very severe fungal infection then. I have started to give all the other turtles Acrivlafine and brushed them all with Povidone Iodine and I dry dock them at night. Until now only one of them is more severe, it has some kind of thick flakes on its skin, and if I brushed it or rubbed it using cotton bud, it peeled off but the skin started to bleed on certain spots… This is really frustrating but I know I have to hold on… If only there were reptile vets here…
I don't have any reptile vets near me either so I always had to seek out advice and do research as well. Hang in there. Just keep up with the treatment until you start seeing results. Let those medications attack the fungus instead of rubbing at the fungus.

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
Fungal infections on the skin always connect themselves to blood vessels as it provides them with nutrients and makes it very painful to remove by force. It is better to let the medication to do its work as well as drying it out by forcing it out of water. I wouldn't recommend getting rid of it with a brush as it will stress the already weak animal out. Plus, the fungal hyphae are buried deep into the skin, which makes it impossible to remove this way.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
Are the black things on his face and neck normally or is it part of the illness,I am very sorry you lost your little friend but now you are better armed if another gets really sick,thank you for sharing

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Are the black things on his face and neck normally or is it part of the illness,I am very sorry you lost your little friend but now you are better armed if another gets really sick,thank you for sharing
That's the diamondback terrapin pattern

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
thank you for answering me so quickly,i hope you can get your pond set up again quickly and healthy for your little friends pleas keep reaching out to the members more able to help you,I truly wish i was able do more for you,i'm very sooy

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Fungal infections on the skin always connect themselves to blood vessels as it provides them with nutrients and makes it very painful to remove by force. It is better to let the medication to do its work as well as drying it out by forcing it out of water. I wouldn't recommend getting rid of it with a brush as it will stress the already weak animal out. Plus, the fungal hyphae are buried deep into the skin, which makes it impossible to remove this way.
How did the fungal infection kill this turtle?

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
How did the fungal infection kill this turtle?
For one they can compromise the structure of the skin, making it lose its ability to keep out pathogens as well as weakening the immune system. Therefore leading to a secondary infection from opportunistic microbes. As mentioned before they also connect themselves to blood vessels via fungal hyphae, which takes nutrients directly from the circulatory system. The combination of these factors can cause great stress on the turtle, which can be fatal.