need help , tortoise stopped eating and move on hind legs

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
until cure or death .
Oh ok is cure expected? Maybe I missed that in this thread. With minimal food, water, and consistent draining this guy could be suffering for quite some time. I know tortoises can't talk but fluid in the liver is extremely painful in humans. Reduced activity and eating is a sign he is not comfortable. But I hope I missed something and this can be corrected.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Oh ok is cure expected? Maybe I missed that in this thread. With minimal food, water, and consistent draining this guy could be suffering for quite some time. I know tortoises can't talk but fluid in the liver is extremely painful in humans. Reduced activity and eating is a sign he is not comfortable. But I hope I missed something and this can be corrected.

conventional treatment is nearly impossible.
vet told me basically the only option is organ transplant . But 1) no one has ever done it on tortoise 2) you need to find a healthy radiata tortoise liver, and it must be a match . 3) image the cost of organ transplant without insurance

daniellenc

Maryland
That’s what I thought do you have an aversion to euthanasia? Otherwise he could be like this for months and possibly years. I wish humans had this option but for our pets it’s the ultimate act of love.

Ayushjain101

Kerla
Update 11/28/18

I’ve been draining the body fluids every 2 weeks .
Amount seems to be stable around 12-20ml except today I got 5 full syringes , that’s around 60ml.
Eats 1-2 Mazuri pellets per day . Some greens
Still no sign of poop but I’ve noticed little jelly like thing hanging outside the butthole sometimes .
View attachment 258500
The sticky thing you are talking about is nothing but concentrated urine. He will pass all the concentrated urine and then normal urine starts coming. It looks like cough syrup and bit jellyish. I think he is trying to remove his urine and when it happens things are gonna get much better. Do not feed him vet things. My tortoise had not pooped for 30 days but then he did. I am sure he will get better and become faster and more active then he was. Keep good hopes.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
The sticky thing you are talking about is nothing but concentrated urine. He will pass all the concentrated urine and then normal urine starts coming. It looks like cough syrup and bit jellyish. I think he is trying to remove his urine and when it happens things are gonna get much better. Do not feed him vet things. My tortoise had not pooped for 30 days but then he did. I am sure he will get better and become faster and more active then he was. Keep good hopes.
That’s good news . I saw some came out today .
Not sure how much or how often he pees because substrate absorbs it

Ayushjain101

Kerla
That’s good news . I saw some came out today .
Not sure how much or how often he pees because substrate absorbs it
I think the liquid which doctor removed was nothing but concentrated urin. It should be jellyish. There will be alot of space in his stomach. And do the skin near his legs would feel look abit contracted. I would recommend to keep him on plain surface and keep a view on his activity of peeing. Have he pooped. I am happy you are doing so much for him. Your animal is beautiful. Prayers on the way...

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
I think the liquid which doctor removed was nothing but concentrated urin. It should be jellyish. There will be alot of space in his stomach. And do the skin near his legs would feel look abit contracted. I would recommend to keep him on plain surface and keep a view on his activity of peeing. Have he pooped. I am happy you are doing so much for him. Your animal is beautiful. Prayers on the way...
the liquid removed was not jelly like . Its just like water . No smell