Need help w id of rescued tortoises

Satcom1223

Location (City and/or State)
Camp Verde, AZ
These were a friends and I don't know what kind they are and am worried about the white on their shells. From what I gather they are 3 or 4 years old. Please help.

1519599312429-8045817.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yhey are desert tortoises.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Desert tortoises, where are you located? The light color on each section of shell (scute) is normal.

Satcom1223

Camp Verde, AZ
I'm not convinced. Understand these guys were in horrible living conditions,no heat, no light, no water, no food for quite awhile, literally living in a glass tank with 1 1/2 inches of dirt/gravel. What kind of Desert tortoise do you think? There are some spots on their shells that are becoming holes. When I put them in the water to soak, they float....I'm in Northern Arizona. I'm not trying to be rude, but the white spots on the shells just don't look normal. I am calling game and Fish in the morning. I have a sulcata that is 2 1/2 years and she is quite bigger than these.

Last edited:

Bambam1989

East Texas
If you can provide a closer pic of the shell area you are concerned about it would help.
Sulcatas are one of the fastest growing torts. So comparing their sizes to your's is not a fair comparison.

Satcom1223

Camp Verde, AZ
If you can provide a closer pic of the shell area you are concerned about it would help.
Sulcatas are one of the fastest growing torts. So comparing their sizes to your's is not a fair comparison.
Ok,good to know. Can't get pic atm, will when home. Desert tortoise, what kind?

kellygirl64

Upstate NY @ 90 miles left of NYC
I'm not convinced. Understand these guys were in horrible living conditions,no heat, no light, no water, no food for quite awhile, literally living in a glass tank with 1 1/2 inches of dirt/gravel. What kind of Desert tortoise do you think? There are some spots on their shells that are becoming holes. When I put them in the water to soak, they float....I'm in Northern Arizona. I'm not trying to be rude, but the white spots on the shells just don't look normal. I am calling game and Fish in the morning. I have a sulcata that is 2 1/2 years and she is quite bigger than these.
I rescued a sulcatta recently, and if these end up being sulcatta, they look better than the one I rescued. I'm glad you're worried, and should be, but you know you can try to do all the good needed for them now. I have no idea what they are but they are in good hands now. Hang in there and let these folks help you out. Good luck with them, I'm glad they have you.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you for caring! All the best with them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They're not sulcata. We call them "desert tortoises" but they are Western United States Gopherus tortoises. There are two sub species, the Gopherus morafkai and the Gopherus agassizii. They both take the exact same care. In fact for many, many years they were only one species, only being separated into two a few years ago.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
In general terms, a Sonoran desert tortoise, or Mojave Desert tortoise. The two generally being separated by the Colorado River. Most Desert tortoises in Arizona are Sonoran aka morafkai.