Need Help with a large 9yr old sulcata

lizysexpistol

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pomona California
I have a large sulcata, he recently started eating less. He also keeps his eye closed longer than usual. I took him to the vet and they took xrays. They told me it has a lot of gas inside. The vet advised to soak him daily and keep him away from my other tortoise. Have you guy experienced this with your tortoises? or do you guys know what can cause gas in a sulcata??

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have a large sulcata, he recently started eating less. // it has a lot of gas inside. // Have you guy experienced this with your tortoises? or do you guys know what can cause gas

~ I can say that our group has more gas after eating peppers, they generally don't eat much for the next day or so after, very typical for ours.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I have a large sulcata, he recently started eating less. He also keeps his eye closed longer than usual. I took him to the vet and they took xrays. They told me it has a lot of gas inside. The vet advised to soak him daily and keep him away from my other tortoise. Have you guy experienced this with your tortoises? or do you guys know what can cause gas in a sulcata??

What have you been feeding?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I noticed you are mentioning two. Are they sharing the same enclosure? They need to be separated forever and given their own territory. He could be stressed from the other tortoise causing lack of appetite. Not sure about the gas.

lizysexpistol

5 Year Member
Pomona California
I noticed you are mentioning two. Are they sharing the same enclosure? They need to be separated forever and given their own territory. He could be stressed from the other tortoise causing lack of appetite. Not sure about the gas.

Yes, I have two. I am rehoming the bigger one because he was picking on Pete ( my sick tortoise) but I have been keeping them apart.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
timothy hay, mazuri pellets, and their calcium powder.

~ My only thoughts based on your vet's information is possible some compaction. Based on pour experience and direct observations with some types of hay and Mazuri, sometimes the hay is dry and if the Mazuri is dry and or the Tortoise is not well hydrated, we have found that compaction may be an issue. Just a thought. We always wet our Mazuri well and allow all the pellets to soak up well prior to offering it to the tortoise (i do this with my dogs also). We always offer extra fresh water in the same bowls after they eat Mazuri, many drink afterwords.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hopies-story.79409/

~ We have one that we hatched out that gets compacted on a regular basis because of medical issues. We have found that if he eats hay (any type) he generally gets compacted. He is well hydrated, however we think the hay is simply dryer and based on his medical issues it drys out very fast and he can't get it out. When we clean him out, it is always dry and clumped up. Just FYI.

~ This video is on Mazuri day and these bowls are filled with water after they are empty. Many drink from the bowls and we always fill the pond full, several actually drink from it also directly after the feedings.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
~ My only thoughts based on your vet's information is possible some compaction. Based on pour experience and direct observations with some types of hay and Mazuri, sometimes the hay is dry and if the Mazuri is dry and or the Tortoise is not well hydrated, we have found that compaction may be an issue. Just a thought. We always wet our Mazuri well and allow all the pellets to soak up well prior to offering it to the tortoise (i do this with my dogs also). We always offer extra fresh water in the same bowls after they eat Mazuri, many drink afterwords.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hopies-story.79409/

~ We have one that we hatched out that gets compacted on a regular basis because of medical issues. We have found that if he eats hay (any type) he generally gets compacted. He is well hydrated, however we think the hay is simply dryer and based on his medical issues it drys out very fast and he can't get it out. When we clean him out, it is always dry and clumped up. Just FYI.

~ This video is on Mazuri day and these bowls are filled with water after they are empty. Many drink from the bowls and we always fill the pond full, several actually drink from it also directly after the feedings.

Wow those are amazing animals. Wish I had the room for that breed!