Need help with baby sulcata please, im so stressed

Toombsk16

Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, CT
Tom,

Thank you for your 8nput on the T5 vs. T8. I went with the T8 because it was 18” and the longest T5 I could find was only 12. I’ll look at getting the T5 ballast. Do you think the desert 50 is appropriate for a Sulcata or is the 10 more sufficient?

we do have a fully enclosed top it’s about 2/3 wood and 1/3 wood frame with plexiglass.

I bought 1 heat lamp and got a 75W black bulb, but am going to replace it tomorrow. It seems a bit warm directly below it. 110-115’ on the slate, yet on the cool area 76-78.

i got 2 50W Ceramic Bulbs and am going to put 1 in the middle, the other to the left 1/2 of the way to the side and leave the other side without so he has a cooler area to retreat to when he needs.

he loves his greens, but doesn’t care for the straw/hay dry mixture we purchased. (I don’t blame him, the greens are fresh, moist and seem more appetizing to me (and I don’t even like vegetables ? ?)

Thanks again,
Ken

Toombsk16

Brooklyn, CT
Thank you again Tom. This forum is great. I never even as or seek help at places like Petco or Pet Smart since I know those people are just trying to get by and working a job that was available to them. Not a knock on them, but I don't feel like they have any knowledge. I also find that generic internet searches are often just as bad. Results come from people who insist their way is the best if you want your tortoise to live, but the opinions go from one end of the spectrum to the other. From open Cement Boxes with Soil to aquariums covered with plastic wrap to keep in heat.

Since this is a lifelong commitment we want to learn for ourselves what works best, and I find and appreciate folks like you who are really doing it & having excellent results. I have found so much good information on here and the explanations make logical sense.

We treat our kids just as we do our young adult children. They are part of the family and deserve the best life possible. Our 2 English Bulldogs and 1 1/2 year old French Mastiff sleep on the king size be with us. It may seem weird to others, but it makes us happy and them as well.

Our tortoise Obi's enclosure is just a few feet from the bed within eye view. The weather station with inside temperature/humidity sensor, along with 2 remote units.(One for outside, and the other inside Obi's home/enclosure allows us to keep a constant eye on his habitat.

We live in a colder climate here in New England, but we are prepared to buy or likely build the next enclosure when the time comes. It does get warm and humid outside in the summer, so I know he will enjoy some time in the yard. We of course wouldn't leave him alone until the time comes when he is much bigger in the summer and I build an enclosure along with a net/cover to make sure critters don't get to him. Our long term options are a basement space when he gets much bigger. 1/2 of the basement if finished and the other 1/2 isn't, so we will use that.

We are learning lots and having fun with him. He likes his baths and lightly rubbing his shell. I'm a big guy at 6'4 & 250 pounds, So I have to be very gentle when rubbing his shell as he takes his bath so that I don't accidently move him by doing so. My wife is small at 5'3 and 130 pounds and has a much more delicate to touch. We never imagined owning a reptile. We don't care for snakes, alligators or turtles, but tortoises are just awesome to us.

One of our kids has committed to taking care of him many years down the road since Obi' will out live us. It gives us a huge peace of mind that he will be cared for in the way accustomed so he can live the best life possible.

Thanks again & if you have any other recommendations please let us know. I'll follow your posts as they have great information

Thanks,
Ken

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Thank you again Tom. This forum is great. I never even as or seek help at places like Petco or Pet Smart since I know those people are just trying to get by and working a job that was available to them. Not a knock on them, but I don't feel like they have any knowledge. I also find that generic internet searches are often just as bad. Results come from people who insist their way is the best if you want your tortoise to live, but the opinions go from one end of the spectrum to the other. From open Cement Boxes with Soil to aquariums covered with plastic wrap to keep in heat.

Since this is a lifelong commitment we want to learn for ourselves what works best, and I find and appreciate folks like you who are really doing it & having excellent results. I have found so much good information on here and the explanations make logical sense.

We treat our kids just as we do our young adult children. They are part of the family and deserve the best life possible. Our 2 English Bulldogs and 1 1/2 year old French Mastiff sleep on the king size be with us. It may seem weird to others, but it makes us happy and them as well.

Our tortoise Obi's enclosure is just a few feet from the bed within eye view. The weather station with inside temperature/humidity sensor, along with 2 remote units.(One for outside, and the other inside Obi's home/enclosure allows us to keep a constant eye on his habitat.

We live in a colder climate here in New England, but we are prepared to buy or likely build the next enclosure when the time comes. It does get warm and humid outside in the summer, so I know he will enjoy some time in the yard. We of course wouldn't leave him alone until the time comes when he is much bigger in the summer and I build an enclosure along with a net/cover to make sure critters don't get to him. Our long term options are a basement space when he gets much bigger. 1/2 of the basement if finished and the other 1/2 isn't, so we will use that.

We are learning lots and having fun with him. He likes his baths and lightly rubbing his shell. I'm a big guy at 6'4 & 250 pounds, So I have to be very gentle when rubbing his shell as he takes his bath so that I don't accidently move him by doing so. My wife is small at 5'3 and 130 pounds and has a much more delicate to touch. We never imagined owning a reptile. We don't care for snakes, alligators or turtles, but tortoises are just awesome to us.

One of our kids has committed to taking care of him many years down the road since Obi' will out live us. It gives us a huge peace of mind that he will be cared for in the way accustomed so he can live the best life possible.

Thanks again & if you have any other recommendations please let us know. I'll follow your posts as they have great information

Thanks,
Ken
Aw'www @Toombsk16, that is just so'oo nice to hear...Thinking ahead for the smallest family member...?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I send photos of all the changes i promise, i love all the animals
How is your little tortoise getting on? I have been thinking of her a lot - she is so sweet. I hope you have managed to get her lights sorted out now, and that she is eating well,and maybe even gaining a little weight.
Please tell us how she is
Best wishes from Angie