Need help with correct lighting for Red Footed Tortoise inside enclosure.

Anessa55

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi, just joined because I have so many questions with lighting my tortoise correctly. I used to just have the normal 100 W lights you can get at any pet store from Zoomed. However their bulbs kept breaking on me so I needed a new option. I asked at my local reptile store what can I do differently because my bank account doesn’t support me buying all these bulbs every other week. He suggested just a infrared light so that’s what I bought. However now I’m concerned that he isn’t getting the right light. Can I just use a red light or do I need an actual white light. I don’t feel comfortable using just the red light so I need some great tortoise experts to help me out please and thank you!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi, just joined because I have so many questions with lighting my tortoise correctly. I used to just have the normal 100 W lights you can get at any pet store from Zoomed. However their bulbs kept breaking on me so I needed a new option. I asked at my local reptile store what can I do differently because my bank account doesn’t support me buying all these bulbs every other week. He suggested just a infrared light so that’s what I bought. However now I’m concerned that he isn’t getting the right light. Can I just use a red light or do I need an actual white light. I don’t feel comfortable using just the red light so I need some great tortoise experts to help me out please and thank you!

Hello.

What is the size/age of the tortoise(s)? What is the enclosure like?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
No an infrared light is not good. You need a UVB light. Are you able to bring your tortoise outside for sunlight a few hours a week? If so you don't need a UVB bulb inside. You can just use a regular light bulb for light. That's what I do.

Anessa55

Colorado
He’s about 6” and he’s in a big storage bin with hiding spots. I can’t take him out during the winter time but I do let him roam when summer comes. Should I just never have a red light?