Need help with pricing!- 1.1 proven Leopard pair with split scutes

TanknDozer

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia Beach, VA
Hello! I have a pair of leopard tortoises I need to rehome and need help with setting a fair price for them. I am currently in university and since my living situation keeps changing, my family has been taking care of them for me. They love the tortoises too but I know they can be a burden so I am looking to sell them.

I have had them since 2011 when they were hatchlings (from separate clutches, breeder in central Virginia) and they are now both over 14" long with the female weighing over 16lb. and the male weighing over 20lb. They both have split scutes on their shell, with the female having more split scutes. The female laid a clutch of 12 eggs last year and the male follows her around all spring and summer, luckily we have a large backyard with lots of shrubs for them to get away from each other during this time. I have only recently learned that adult tortoises shouldn't be housed together after doing more research on this forum, which is another reason I am looking to sell them to somebody with more space.

I have seen listings that have sold for -1.1 proven leopard pairs for around $2000, but before I list them for around this price I was wondering:

-Does the males lighter shell make him more desirable?
-Does knowing the animals entire history help increase price?
-Do split scutes affect the price?
-Does the area affect the price? (I'm in SE Virginia and don't want to ship them. Open to delivering them in person.)
-Do zoos ever purchase animals from private pet owners? Virginia Zoo doesn't have any leopard tortoises and their reptile house is only 3 years old which is why I ask.
Thank you for reading and for any help!!

Attached photos: Male on left with lighter shell, female on right. Pretty sure those are 12"x12" tiles to give size reference.

IMG_3781.JPGIMG_3789.JPGIMG_3785.jpgIMG_3793.jpg

IMG_3781.JPG IMG_3785.jpg IMG_3789.JPGIMG_3793.jpg

Last edited:

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Yes too bad you don’t want to ship or I would be interested as well
I think your price seems fair. Adults don’t come up for sale often so it can be hard to figure the price.
I don’t think zoos will buy from privet parties any more but I don’t really know

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello! I have a pair of leopard tortoises I need to rehome and need help with setting a fair price for them. I am currently in university and since my living situation keeps changing, my family has been taking care of them for me. They love the tortoises too but I know they can be a burden so I am looking to sell them.

I have had them since 2011 when they were hatchlings (from separate clutches, breeder in central Virginia) and they are now both over 14" long with the female weighing over 16lb. and the male weighing over 20lb. They both have split scutes on their shell, with the female having more split scutes. The female laid a clutch of 12 eggs last year and the male follows her around all spring and summer, luckily we have a large backyard with lots of shrubs for them to get away from each other during this time. I have only recently learned that adult tortoises shouldn't be housed together after doing more research on this forum, which is another reason I am looking to sell them to somebody with more space.

I have seen listings that have sold for -1.1 proven leopard pairs for around $2000, but before I list them for around this price I was wondering:

-Does the males lighter shell make him more desirable?
-Does knowing the animals entire history help increase price?
-Do split scutes affect the price?
-Does the area affect the price? (I'm in SE Virginia and don't want to ship them. Open to delivering them in person.)
-Do zoos ever purchase animals from private pet owners? Virginia Zoo doesn't have any leopard tortoises and their reptile house is only 3 years old which is why I ask.
Thank you for reading and for any help!!

Attached photos: Male on left with lighter shell, female on right. Pretty sure those are 12"x12" tiles to give size reference.

View attachment 319959 View attachment 319966 View attachment 319960View attachment 319967
How certain are you that you have a male Leopard Tortoise there? Both of their tails look like females' tails to me

Almost no zoos will buy from private people any more, but it depends somewhat upon the people at the zoo who are in charge and how badly they want what the private person is offering. You will never know unless you ask. If the zoo is NOT and AZA member zoo, there is a better chance that it will buy animals from a private party.

Abnormal scutes are liked by some people and totally turn off other people. It is just a matter of personal preference.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Agree both female.
I would guess 500-700 a piece would be a going price.
@Tom am I in a good price range?

Reactions: Ink

Ghazan

5 Year Member
Hatchling prices have gone up in the last 3-4 years, I'd say 1500-2000 is a good range for both, just my guess