need help with tortoise identification?

esquared

hi folks,
new member here from Ohio. need identification help on a pair of tortoises I will be inheriting. Want to make sure I set up a proper enclosure for these two. thanks in advance! (let me know if I need a picture from a different angle on either one).

20160509_172530.jpg
20160509_172619.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

esquared

done! =) the first two pics are posted in the same order as the carapace pictures. the third picture is a more clear picture of the 2nd tortoise, with it's carapace cleaned.

20160509_175212.jpg
20160509_175327.jpg 20160509_175341.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe you have a Red foot tortoise and either a Russian tortoise or possibly a Greek. That ever they are, they can not be housed together. Not only should different species be house separate, but tortoises should not be kept in pairs, specially Russians.
@tortadise may be able to give a positive ID

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
The first looks like a redfoot (the one with those pretty orange/red scales
the second LOOKS like a russian but it looks like he has little spurs on this thigh/front legs. So I'm not 100% sure about that.
Their care is VERY different.

esquared

super, thanks for the I.D. help! These will not be housed together.... right now I'm trying to get a solid I.D. on them before I set up proper enclosures.

esquared

Tom, thanks so much! I am very excited to care for these animals and will tap into the wealth of information found on this forum.

Grandpa, thanks to you as well for the welcome message! =)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Redfoot and what looks to be a very old Russian most likely male

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They need to be housed separately as care and diet are different for the two species. Red footed needs much higher humidity than Russian.

For example, the Russian cannot digest sugars properly, so fruit, tomato, bell pepper, carrot should only be fed very occasionally. However, fruit is part of a red foot's diet. Also red foot needs protein like egg or meat in its diet, but not the Russian.

Tom gave you the Beginner Mistakes and the Russian Care Guide earlier

There is good information on red footed tort care here
http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/species-information-2/chelonoidis/

esquared

JoesMum, thanks for the link on the red footed, that is very helpful!
I did share (several posts above yours) they will not be housed together, so we're good there. I'm currently setting up their enclosures and will provide updates in the next few weeks. =)