Need help with Yellow bellied slider (at least thats my guess)

fisers666

Location (City and/or State)
Riga,Latvia
I've been watching this thread with interest. I'm looking forward to seeing "Onion" in her new home!
It will take couple weeks i think. Ill try to beat her appetite with lots of light and some co2. From my observations with anubis bush it might be possible so i want to let plants to grow in a bit. Also i want shrimp and snail colonies to settle in. It might be just expensive, long munchies :D, but its worth a try.

fisers666

Riga,Latvia
Its been two full weeks since Onion(ill stick to this, she dropped 1 more layer) is in new home. Theres some more work to be done but for now it looks like this. I didnt plan on putting her in so soon, but i needed more phosphates,nitrates,etc for plants to feed, so easiest way to raise all that up was to let her in. Also changed few wood parts to metal in construction, i can sleep calmer now. Turtle feels at home since first minutes, she started with decimating forest of hornwort, dont think i can have amount needed to regrow unless the only way for her to get forward is chew trough hornwort :D.She goes easier on anacharis and almost dont care about water lettuce , ate all spiraled vallisnerias i got along the road, dint care that much on giant ones. She seems calm and safe, tried to get trough glass facing the wall at the beginning , i think she thought its more water there, covered the wall of aquarium with dark colored bamboo mat and she immediately lost interest of going trough glass there. She seems to be interested in whats happening in the room, spends most time in sides where the action is, meanwhile without scraping trough glass. Best small/medium size snail controller. Theres 2 catfish, 2 plecos, 19 neons, few zebra danios and guppys, snails, shrimp. Turtle is able to catch only snails for now :tort:, but shrimps are dumb enough to get eaten time to time anyhow.
Water is in tea color cause of roots inside.Probably will be like that for long.

Everything seems to be good except that she havent basked even once. Water temp is 77-79F, shes eating and looks and sounds healthy, im sure shes physically able to claim up there pretty easy. So question is when/if i should start to worry about this?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Its been two full weeks since Onion(ill stick to this, she dropped 1 more layer) is in new home. Theres some more work to be done but for now it looks like this. I didnt plan on putting her in so soon, but i needed more phosphates,nitrates,etc for plants to feed, so easiest way to raise all that up was to let her in. Also changed few wood parts to metal in construction, i can sleep calmer now. Turtle feels at home since first minutes, she started with decimating forest of hornwort, dont think i can have amount needed to regrow unless the only way for her to get forward is chew trough hornwort :D.She goes easier on anacharis and almost dont care about water lettuce , ate all spiraled vallisnerias i got along the road, dint care that much on giant ones. She seems calm and safe, tried to get trough glass facing the wall at the beginning , i think she thought its more water there, covered the wall of aquarium with dark colored bamboo mat and she immediately lost interest of going trough glass there. She seems to be interested in whats happening in the room, spends most time in sides where the action is, meanwhile without scraping trough glass. Best small/medium size snail controller. Theres 2 catfish, 2 plecos, 19 neons, few zebra danios and guppys, snails, shrimp. Turtle is able to catch only snails for now :tort:, but shrimps are dumb enough to get eaten time to time anyhow.
Water is in tea color cause of roots inside.Probably will be like that for long.

Everything seems to be good except that she havent basked even once. Water temp is 77-79F, shes eating and looks and sounds healthy, im sure shes physically able to claim up there pretty easy. So question is when/if i should start to worry about this?

Very cool!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

This is SO COOL!!!
I love that you can shoot up through the bottom of the tank!!! :):):)

fisers666

Riga,Latvia
She still havent basked... Only thing different in water condition is lower ph ~6-6.5(from tannins in roots, mistakenly called them melanin in previous post) and more iron in water. Does anyone have some ideas why is she not coming out of water?
When i moved her to box she lived in for past few months she was basking in few h.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
That is simply amazing. Great rescue, great job.

fisers666

Riga,Latvia
Today Onion started to climb on water lettuce and few other places where she could not get on. I listened to my inner child and put her on platform every time she tried to climb up somewhere. And this time i guess it worked(usually inner child is not right about anything animal related). In 4th time she stayed out a little and after 5th she came up on her own, basked for like a minute and went across her platform and dived in to a hole in corner(witch i made bigger so she can fit trough). Also i made ramp twice as long, but dont think that mattered much).IMG_20191018_200713.jpg IMG_20191018_201328.jpg