Need help. (yellow around eye)

Pure Tortoise Power

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
I may be overly paranoid, but I'm not sure if the pale yellow stuff around the eyeball area is something that should concern me. Could it be a sign of parasite? Or something else? Or is it normal?
It eats just fine. Absolutely huge appetite. It sees just fine, doesn't bump into anything when it's walking. Soaked 2 hours everyday. Doesn't seem lethargic either, but rather lazy. (It usually lays down in its hiding or basking spot, but becomes energetic sometimes) Temps: 37 basking, 33 warm, 29 cool. Due to pandemic, I can only provide mazuri pellets, bok choi, romaine lettuce as food.
Thanks in advance. 20200808_154046.jpg20200808_154059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ditto. I see no problem with the appearance.

Try to find weeds, grass and the right tree leaves around you. That diet is too limited and has no grass. Can you get ZooMed grassland pellets online or at a pet store? How about horse hay pellets? People still have to feed their horses every day in a pandemic. You've got to figure out a way to get more variety and better food into the tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I enlarged the picture and I THINK I see what you're worried about. Not to worry. . . That's normal sulcata skin and bumps.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I may be overly paranoid, but I'm not sure if the pale yellow stuff around the eyeball area is something that should concern me. Could it be a sign of parasite? Or something else? Or is it normal?
It eats just fine. Absolutely huge appetite. It sees just fine, doesn't bump into anything when it's walking. Soaked 2 hours everyday. Doesn't seem lethargic either, but rather lazy. (It usually lays down in its hiding or basking spot, but becomes energetic sometimes) Temps: 37 basking, 33 warm, 29 cool. Due to pandemic, I can only provide mazuri pellets, bok choi, romaine lettuce as food.
Thanks in advance. View attachment 302716View attachment 302717

Hello and many welcomes to this forum!!
You have come to the right place for help and advice...
But ....could I ask for a favor ?????
Could you please give that sweet sulcata tortoise A NAME!?
I see you are calling it “THAT”.
my mom calls mine “that thing” and it drives me crazy!! It is a living breathing animal who has made it this far... the least
“itdeserves is a name.. and he/she is extremely cute!!! I want to do a “raspberry “ on he/she little shell!! ?
Ok.... that being said off of my chest.....
WELCOME!!!!! I am so glad that you are here!!!!!! ????????

p.s.- my tortoise Sally (the Sulcata) made me write this...☹️

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
my mom calls mine “that thing” and it drives me crazy!! It is a living breathing animal who has made it this far... the least
“itdeserves is a name.. and he/she is extremely cute!!! I want to do a “raspberry “ on he/she little shell!! ?

p.s.- my tortoise Sally (the Sulcata) made me write this...☹
Oh man, you are going over the edge...lol...Sally, shame on you

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Ok, thx you all for relieving my worries (once again XD), and thx for the compliments on my cutie. I've been following the instructions on the forum for almost two years and it's turning out so well! I believe there would be a lot of pyramiding had I not known about the humidity requirement! I'm glad everything is going well.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Ditto. I see no problem with the appearance.

Try to find weeds, grass and the right tree leaves around you. That diet is too limited and has no grass. Can you get ZooMed grassland pellets online or at a pet store? How about horse hay pellets? People still have to feed their horses every day in a pandemic. You've got to figure out a way to get more variety and better food into the tortoise.
I guess I can order it online. Do you mind posting pics of the ZooMed grassland pellets so that I know what to buy exactly?

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong

p.s.- my tortoise Sally (the Sulcata) made me write this...☹️
Oh actually I've been here for almost two years. It's just that I don't post that often. It does have a name, which is Rover (I could use a better name... I'm not that good with naming). Thx for your concern anyway.