Need help

jeffstort

5 Year Member
I got a new baby box turtle and he was very active and great. Now he is burrowing and his shell has gotten weak I know that when they are hatchlings there shells are weak to begin with but I think his has gotten softer I try to feed him worms dusted with calcium powder but he scrapes the powder off what should I do to make his shell stronger.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are the temps, lighting, UVB, substrate, humidity, etc. all the info you can give about his enclosure, diet, daily care will help someone to help you better.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I would try to give me some sunshine if possible but not to the point of dehydration. I usually sun my baby box turtles in a half inch of water so they remain relatively cool and hydrated but still get the benefits of the sun. The burrowing is normal. Try feeding him Reptomin along with his worms. I literally raise my box turtles on reptomin and worms for the first year+ of their life and they develop beautifully. I will attach a picture of box turtles raised on just reptomin and worms and you can tell how healthy they are. What state are you located in? Is it possible to give it some sunshine at this time of the year in your location?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1390082318.279734.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390082371.057940.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffstort

5 Year Member
His basking temp is 87 I try to feet him worms in calcium powder and I soak him once a day and I live in Illinois so its not possible