Need info on cage,breeding,care and EVERYTHING else!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ducksarecool12

5 Year Member
Well im getting a pair of pancake tortoises and really dont know anything about them. what needs to be in the cage? what kind of lighting? how do i breed them and what do they lay in? and whatever else i need to know?? post pics of your pancake breeding setup.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Have you tried using our search option? We also have a great enclosure thread topic as well. The link in my signature will take you where you need to be! :)

Sorry I don't have pancakes.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum. I don't have pancakes either, so you should probably search the pancake section of the forum. Click on the link below Fernando's signature and scroll down to the pancake section and start reading the threads, you will find a ton of information.. Good luck..

ducksarecool12

5 Year Member
I searched the enclosure thread but didnt really see any pancake tortoise enclosures

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ducksarecool12 said:
is their anything else i could put in their like branches?

Maybe you can put some potted plants. If you notice there are some responses in that same thread I posted. Just read a bit more down.

I honestly don't know how much sunshine pancakes like, but usually tortoises love being outside during a warm day (provided that there is shade for cover)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi ducksarecool12:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

johanna

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Potted plants are a bad idea unless they are specific leafy greens that are safe for tortoises. Pancakes eat dark leafy greens and will eat plant whether they are edible, or toxic, so be careful! They need a large ground area as they are very active. Keep it dry except for their water dish and soak them regularly in warm water. I hope you are able to do your research and set up your enclosure before obtaining pancakes. They usually arent recommended for beginners unless you have experience with reptiles. They need rocky areas for hiding. They will hide most of the time, but at least once a day mine come out and run around. They need a very nutritious diet of leafy greens, preferably organic as the pesticides/herbicides/ and GMO's could be potentially dangerous for their little bodies. Dont feed iceberg lettuce. Only feed romaine and leaf lettuce on occasion. I dont feed those at all. I feed collards, mustard greens, swiss chard, mesclun, watercress, radish tops, dandilions, etc. I have an outdoor enclosure for when it is sunny and warm, and a UVB bulb for indoors. They like it quite hot. A basking area of over 90 is needed. Mine are only active on very hot days.
Here you can see the rocks for climbing. I have some wood pieces, rocks, and broken pots to crawl under. I change the set up on a regular basis as they seem to like a change of pace. This is just part of the enclosure:
IMG_7648.jpg

Here is my outdoor enclosure. I put bricks around the outside as they can dig under the sides:
247224_10150208790810108_727665107_7740752_4809910_n.jpg

ducksarecool12

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone and thanks ''johanna'' thats what i was looking for. I have had russians and geckos water turtles and many other animals. but i need some infomation on breeding pancakes. i have never bred tortoises before.

johanna

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I dont know how to breed them as I never have. I know you have to fluctuate the daytime and nighttime temps when incubating eggs though. Mine are too young to breed so I havent looked into it much. I dont even know if I have a pair yet. haha. These are my first tortoises but i have kept turtles, bred leopard geckos, breeding cresteds now, and breeding rosy boas. Just small scale hobby stuff. So I'm sure if you know how to use the internet you can figure out how to breed them ;)

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
johanna said:
I dont know how to breed them as I never have. I know you have to fluctuate the daytime and nighttime temps when incubating eggs though. Mine are too young to breed so I havent looked into it much. I dont even know if I have a pair yet. haha. These are my first tortoises but i have kept turtles, bred leopard geckos, breeding cresteds now, and breeding rosy boas. Just small scale hobby stuff. So I'm sure if you know how to use the internet you can figure out how to breed them ;)
they are very cute!

hi & welcome. my poor female is trying to pass an egg right now. poor thing.hope it comes today. hate seeing her struggle. lindy

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
slow down a bit! :)
figure out the ideal housing and diet, general care first... THEN consider the breeding part... if you dont have the other part correct, and the animals arent 'happy', you wont be breeding..
please do plenty of homework and get everything set up BEFORE getting the animals.
You will find out all you need to know here.. read read and ask questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.