Need info

alexialawrence

5 Year Member
I am thinking of getting a 2 week old Burmese star tortoise. I feel like I don't get the right information from the web and would rather get information from you guys about it. I was wondering if star torts have the same care as leopards? I read that star torts have a little bit of a different diet and can eat fruits but I don't trust that info. I was wondering about humidity and substrate and how big the average adult gets. I was also wondering how fast they grow into an adult. Any information please?

shanu303

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
first thing is they are grass and fibre species... strictly no no to fruits..... their guts aren't designed to digest fruits or sucrose...
humidity is always good... especially for the hatchlings.....in the substrate i prefer the natural dirt/soil which is not treated with any chemicals(well thats not for hatchling.... moist paper towels are good for hatchling). the males grow anywhere from 7-9 inches.... the females grow anywhere from 12-14 inches.... well the growth rate varies from individual to individual and what care they are given....

skottip

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
You might want to re-consider buying a 2 week old hatchling. I have had babies that I produced die for no known reason. Very few but it does happen. I am surprised a Platynota breeder would sell one so young. I sell mine at 3 months old minimum..

Good luck,

Scott