Need opinions on this RF Tortoise please. This is a tortoise I am considering buying-

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
He looks good to me! May be being kept too dry. Also when you get the substrate set up, leave out the sand.
Good luck with your purchase.

Macca33

MN
How many CHE would depend on where the enclosure is. What temperature the area is.
Redfoot need to be kept around 84 degrees. Not above 90 and not below 75.
Personally and from my experience, 82 to 84 makes them the most comfortable.
You very well aren't going to know how many CHE, etc. you'll need until the enclosure is built. Will it be a closed chamber? Those hold in humidity and warmth the best.
They also really dislike bright lights. I would personally not recommend any Mercury VAPOR bulbs. They project either too little or too much UV into one small spot, are too bright and too hot. (I recently posted about them using a solarmeter) They also make holding a constant humidity nearly impossible.
Instead, buy a T5 HO 5.0 tube UV fixture. Maybe 24".
That will provide all of your UV and enough light.
IF your Redfoot is provided with a few hours of outdoors sunlight per week, it's TRUE that you can do without a supplemental UV source. Or even use a lower output T8 UV tube fixture.
I hope you can see how your questions don't have one size fits all answers.
They vary by the keepers circumstances.
You'll have to tweak things a bit until they work for you.
You said it- there def isn't a "one size fits all" solution, for sure. I see now, I'll have to tweak the set up as I go. Hopefully, I can do that in a way which doesn't entail wasting too much money on things that don't work (or much stress on the tort).

Is this the T5 HO 5.0 UV you're referring to?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU8F2O/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The room the tort table will be in is a bit on the cool side right now (around/low 60F's) but it will get warmer as we get the table and room set up and add a bit more insulation. I also have a nice space heater that I can place down there in the meantime to get the ambient temp up.
I think I'll start with two 100w CHE in 8.5" lamps, and put the T5 5.0 24" UV tube fixture somewhere in the middle of the table and work from there.

Macca33

MN
He looks good to me! May be being kept too dry. Also when you get the substrate set up, leave out the sand.
Good luck with your purchase.
Thanks!! I've done a some more reading, and will definitely leave out the sand. I plan on using coco coir/sphagnum moss in like a 60/40 ratio. Is coco coir very messy? I also considered putting a thin base layer of volcanic rock at the bottom, to hold/release moisture- is this something others have done? I don't want my tort walking around on the rocks ,just have then underneath to provide/help release humidity.

Macca33

MN
-Oh, the temp in the room is a steady 65F and we're in the middle of the coldest part of the year right now. The enclosure will have lids to help keep heat/humidity in. I just purchased a 36" T5 HO 5.0 UV light fixture and two 100w CHE.... I'll see how this works for now.
I just heard that the tort might be available as early as next week, so I may have to use a Xmas tree tub until the table is finished. lol

Bee62

Germany
Excuse me for throwing my 5 pence in this discussion but I am very amazed how expensive Redfoot- and Yellowfoot tortoise are in America ! In Germany you`ll get a Redfoot baby for 100 Euro. That is in $ 90 right ?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Excuse me for throwing my 5 pence in this discussion but I am very amazed how expensive Redfoot- and Yellowfoot tortoise are in America ! In Germany you`ll get a Redfoot baby for 100 Euro. That is in $ 90 right ?
Babies usually go for about $100 here. Juveniles usually $100-150, and adults are generally $200-300. $250 for this young Redfoot is an outrageous price.

Bee62

Germany
Babies usually go for about $100 here. Juveniles usually $100-150, and adults are generally $200-300. $250 for this young Redfoot is an outrageous price.
Okay. I was startled reading the price the seller wants.:)

reginatn

california
$250 is to much for this RF with that damaged shell. I got mine around $150 ( shipping cost included) from an online breeder located in FL 3 months ago. He (or she, I could not tell) was two and a half inches long, healthy after a long flight

Macca33

MN
$250 is to much for this RF with that damaged shell. I got mine around $150 ( shipping cost included) from an online breeder located in FL 3 months ago. He (or she, I could not tell) was two and a half inches long, healthy after a long flight
I plan on talking the price down to around $130 or $150. I hope they are understanding and flexible with the price. $250 is really outrageous. I'll just have to be prepared to walk from the sale if need be. It would be a shame, as I am fond of this tort...but really think it would be robbery to pay that much.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I plan on talking the price down to around $130 or $150. I hope they are understanding and flexible with the price. $250 is really outrageous. I'll just have to be prepared to walk from the sale if need be. It would be a shame, as I am fond of this tort...but really think it would be robbery to pay that much.
The thing this tortoise has going for it is great growth so far. Should be pretty easy to grow smooth from this point. I've seen many that size in the $150 range for sale that were already Pyramiding.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Coloration and size are huge factors in a Redfoots price.
Here, you can get a pretty average baby for $75.
An adult is about $250.
A very large. Very colorful Cherryhead could be $600.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
(gosh I hope I don't seem like a crazy Doolittle wannabe, lol).

More Doolittles this world could use:<3:! See if you can talk the seller down on price as I always do on general principles. Cost is all up to you whether the critter is worth it and you have the bucks to spend.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How much is that Torty in the window?
The one with the waggly tail?
How much is that Torty in the window?
I sure hope that Torty's for sale!

Could not resist that.

I would not be able to reject him and go find another one at this stage, but that's just me. Let us know how this goes!:tort:

Macca33

MN
BTW, I tried to talk the shop down in price, but in the end the manager wouldn't budge. I was told they paid at least $130 for it and had to recoup housing/care costs plus profit..yada yada. I got the sense that they overpaid for him and didn't realize it until talking to me. They offered me the other one (had signs of pyramiding, but I didn't want him regardless). In the end, I really don't mind overpaying- I simply couldn't reject him. Fortunately my wife was understanding :)

I'm glad to have him in the family.

Now, to finish his table...