Need opinions. (to buy or not to buy)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
The build is under way. We had a shipping crate from my husband's motorcycle lift. I lined it and divided it. Going shopping now for the stuff to go inside and the tote for attached hide.IMG_20150125_111510.jpg IMG_20150125_130555.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I will be interested to see how you are doing the attached hides with the totes. at least with it long they will have a long ways to walk, Russians seem to like to patrol the perimeter of their enclosure no matter how big or small it is. A couple site barriers here and there and they won't feel like it is so small. and it is definitely better than where they came from. Keep us updated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
7'x18" is adequate. Of course bigger would be better, but that is not too bad. Don't feel like you are doing them a disservice.

All summer long my russians sleep with night temps in the mid to high 70's. Its fine. No problem.

Congrats and I want pics. :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
What a day. I would like to introduce, Thelma and Louise.
It is past bed time by the time I got them all set up. Well initial set up, basics, so this is Louise. She is the one I am worried about. She didn't eat and went directly to the corner and dug in.IMG_20150125_190212.jpgThis is Thelma, correctly choosing to sleep in the hide.
IMG_20150125_190249.jpg This is my makeshift, throw together , with materials on hand enclosure. It is over the top of Scarlett's enclosure.
IMG_20150125_190401.jpg IMG_20150125_190154.jpg I will post better pics of them tomorrow when I weigh them. Looking forward to opinions and whatever advice I might need.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am toying with the idea of getting another toward us. Since what ever I get is going to need separate enclosure anyway I thought maybe I would try another species. I have a Russian and a box turtle, a Greek could definitely work. Did he look healthy? I just can't have a Sulcata.
Here are a couple pictures of the Greek. They are asking $299.00 for him.

Attachments

• 0125151502.jpg
    0125151502.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 0125151502a.jpg
    0125151502a.jpg
    852.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 0125151502b.jpg
    0125151502b.jpg
    970.6 KB · Views: 22

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
He is a gorgeous tortoise. I don't know if I have $299 though. I will definitely think about it but maybe make a thread advertising him here also. I love your names for your new tortoises :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
He is a gorgeous tortoise. I don't know if I have $299 though. I will definitely think about it but maybe make a thread advertising him here also. I love your names for your new tortoises :)
Thanks. I think they are going to fit. Louise is angry and unfriendly. Thelma seems to be very out going and personable. When I get a male I can name him J.D. lol

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm sure Louise will chill out. I would've been grumpy to kept in those conditions. See what she's like in a month or two. What is the name of the store again? Maybe I will call them and see if they will take less money, I can't justify $299. I will keep looking for a tortoise to rescue that is not quite as expensive.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I'm sure Louise will chill out. I would've been grumpy to kept in those conditions. See what she's like in a month or two. What is the name of the store again? Maybe I will call them and see if they will take less money, I can't justify $299. I will keep looking for a tortoise to rescue that is not quite as expensive.
Here is their website, Sprague store.http://nwseed.com/

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Here we go. Louise
0126150624.jpg
And Thelma.
0126150602c.jpg
Her beak needs a little help. Feeding on a terra cotta saucer. Hope it will fix itself. If not will figure it out in a few weeks. She ate good last night and this morning. Louise has not eaten. Hoping she will today.
0126150624c.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I love that last picture. She is guarding her food :) mine does that too, I'm not sure why. I guess Lane in the food dish is comfortable.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Weighed and measured during soaks tonight. Thelma is 1231 grams and 7 inches. Louise is 870 grams and 6.5 inches. Have a vet appointment on Thursday to see if Louise has eggs as I suspect. Does their weight and size sound ok? Louise ate a little today. Thelma eats great took Mazuri right out of my hand. Louise scared my husband. When he got home and checked on them and she was gone. I forgot to tell him Russians bury themselves. Their hides have 8 inches of coco Coir. He figured it out lol.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
No eggs. Yeah! Thelma eats good, unless I try to make her eat grassland tortoise food. Louise is starting to eat a bit. Looking forward to spring and building their outdoor enclosure.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I laughed when I read the post about your husband thinking the tortoise was gone when it was just buried. I've done that too. I have searched the outdoor enclosure on my hands and knees and swore to God my tortoise got out, and when I just about hit panic mode I finally found her. your new tortoise will start to eat eventually. my Russian tortoise won't eat the grassland food either. Sometimes you can find dandelion greens at the grocery store, look in the organic section.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I laughed when I read the post about your husband thinking the tortoise was gone when it was just buried. I've done that too. I have searched the outdoor enclosure on my hands and knees and swore to God my tortoise got out, and when I just about hit panic mode I finally found her. your new tortoise will start to eat eventually. my Russian tortoise won't eat the grassland food either. Sometimes you can find dandelion greens at the grocery store, look in the organic section.
I do get lucky n find dandelions once in a while. Thelma likes Mazuri, but neither of them ate any of cactus tonight. Louise is eating now. Not good, but I think she's ok. Makes me feel a bit guilty. The only reason my husband let me get them was because I was sure she had eggs. I know she was digging with her back legs, so I am confused about what happened to the eggs. We are glad she is ok. Just confused.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
When I first got my Russian she ate okay. But it took her a year and a half to eat and dandelion, I guess she never read the book that said it is their favorite food :) and she didn't eat cactus the first couple times I gave it to her either. I usually had to give her a new food two or three times before she would even try it. now she eats practically everything I give her, but she doesn't like the processed foods. so I sprinkle TNT and herbal hey on top of the greens. She only likes the herbal hey if it's soaked in water. You little bugger :) sometimes I just sprayed the greens with water and then mix the herbal hey in with it and she'll eat some of it. If you plant the broadleaf seed mixes in the outdoor enclosure the summer you won't have to provide any food through the summer and well into the fall even after their back inside. The weeds live a long time.