Need recommendations for outdoor enclosure plants in full sun

tunachi

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Hi everyone! I have built a raised outdoor enclosure for my redfoot and it will be put in my back courtyard which receives full sun pretty much all day (the house is on the north side of the courtyard). I am going to try and position the enclosure so that at least some of it is in the very small area that receives some shade in the early morning and late afternoon, however much of it will be in full sun all day. I am going to add a shade cloth to a portion of the enclosure. I am looking for some advice on plants I can plant to provide shade and places to hide out in addition to their hide they have on one end of the enclosure. These plants will need to tolerate full South Florida sun and of course be tortoise safe! Their substrate will be mostly top soil with some cypress mulch blended in.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
any type of tall grass should work (fountain, pampas). how about a palm tree?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone! I have built a raised outdoor enclosure for my redfoot and it will be put in my back courtyard which receives full sun pretty much all day (the house is on the north side of the courtyard). I am going to try and position the enclosure so that at least some of it is in the very small area that receives some shade in the early morning and late afternoon, however much of it will be in full sun all day. I am going to add a shade cloth to a portion of the enclosure. I am looking for some advice on plants I can plant to provide shade and places to hide out in addition to their hide they have on one end of the enclosure. These plants will need to tolerate full South Florida sun and of course be tortoise safe! Their substrate will be mostly top soil with some cypress mulch blended in.
Hibiscus, lavatera, hostas, honeysuckle, cape honeysuckle, grape vines, mulberry trees... There is no limit really.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I've got hibiscus, lyriopi, spider, hostas, a banana plant and various seed mixes growing in my pen.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
All good plants!
When it comes to smaller species for shade and hiding places the Lyriopi is unmatched in my opinion and the tortoises ignore it. Unlike the others.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm also in Florida.
My pen is on the shady side of my house.
In my case, on my south wall.
I use wooden lattice for both my Redfoot and my Koi to cut down on the direct sunlight.
I also have a bunch of overgrown Lyriopi, water pools and shady places to hide.
I would also recommend a water/sprinkle system. This can be an elaborate misting system on a timer, or a simple sprinkler screwed to a garden hose and used for a half hour or more a day if it's especially hot.
Luckily, when it's super hot, it also rains.
Diffused light can be easy....And cheap.

Attachments

• image_02.png
    image_02.png
    284 KB · Views: 6