Need Schefflera Help

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Does anyone have some tips for my poor weepy Schefflera? We recently moved so it's in a new house but it had already started to look a bit sad. Once we moved, we repotted it, and noticed that the old pot did not have a drainage hole in the bottom. The new pot has a drainage hole and the dirt was replaced with fresh potting soil. I was thinking it could've developed root rot but I'm no expert. I had hoped repotting it would perk it back up but it just seems to be getting worse. Any ideas, fellow gardeners? I'm much better with outdoor wildflowers. Thanks in advance!

P_20200417_165117.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's in pretty sad shape. Looks like there's not much you can do for it. When you re-potted it did you pull the root ball apart a bit? I've never used it, but vitamin b is supposed to help when re-potting. When you took it out of the old pot what was the dirt like? too wet and muddy? Maybe pull it out of the pot and allow the roots to dry out a bit. Then re-pot it but prune it back a bit to make up for any roots that were destroyed during the process. Living right on top of that heat register probably isn't too good for it either.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
That's in pretty sad shape. Looks like there's not much you can do for it. When you re-potted it did you pull the root ball apart a bit? I've never used it, but vitamin b is supposed to help when re-potting. When you took it out of the old pot what was the dirt like? too wet and muddy? Maybe pull it out of the pot and allow the roots to dry out a bit. Then re-pot it but prune it back a bit to make up for any roots that were destroyed during the process. Living right on top of that heat register probably isn't too good for it either.
I think the old dirt was fairly dry; my husband says it seemed moist but not super wet. The root ball seemed small to me for how big the plant is. I guess I can inspect the roots again when it warms up a little outside (it got cold again since I repotted it). We do have an air deflector over the vent next to him too, but maybe we'll try to find a new spot for him in the house too. Thanks, @Yvonne G!