Need some advice on redfoots i bought

ShellyBoi

Location (City and/or State)
Ridgefield Washington
So I recently bought a pair of redfoots from someone that could no longer care for them, one is about 7 and the other is a year and some months old according to the person we bought it from. They sadly have some pyramiding from before I got them. But my question is what are your guys opinions on keeping them together? I've seen people talk about it on here about pairs not getting along, but the younger one i would assume was raised with the older one and they've already lived together this long, would it be safe to keep them together or should I look for a different living arrangement for them, the only questionable thing I've seen so far is the younger one biting at the older one, but the older one will just sit there and deal with it so i don't know if that's an issue, also they are both females according to the previous owner. Any help is appreciated thanks so much

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
the 1 year old is too young to sex as female, so you could have an immature male.

What is the size of your enclosure? Redfoots do well in groups (with a 3:1 female to male ratio) but I am hesitant on the size difference between the two and if one cannot escape from the other in a small enclosure. You are already seeing aggression from the little guy so you should probably separate. Bullying can lead to stress, injury, and death.

ShellyBoi

Ridgefield Washington
The enclosure is 6 x 3 feet and for the most part they seem calm around each other but when they get active they tend to walk near each other and can sometimes bump into each other or the bigger one will walk over the smaller one but then they just kind of keep walking around and doing their thing. so I don't think it's bullying?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd separate them.
I've had larger Redfoot climb on top of and sleep on top of smaller RF.
Future separation will be required regardless as they mature especially if one or both become more mature males.
And even with Redfoot, two females are also not usually harmonious. No matter the space. And yours is small.
The issues will increase with age.
They truly are solitary and they need their own territory

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The enclosure is 6 x 3 feet and for the most part they seem calm around each other but when they get active they tend to walk near each other and can sometimes bump into each other or the bigger one will walk over the smaller one but then they just kind of keep walking around and doing their thing. so I don't think it's bullying?

Bumping into each other and walking on one is classic bullying. So is eating together, sleeping together, following each other...most any action that you may think is cute is bullying.

I wouldn't take too long to separate them. With the size difference you could possibly wake up to a dead tortoise.

ShellyBoi

Ridgefield Washington
So I recently bought a pair of redfoots from someone that could no longer care for them, one is about 7 and the other is a year and some months old according to the person we bought it from. They sadly have some pyramiding from before I got them. But my question is what are your guys opinions on keeping them together? I've seen people talk about it on here about pairs not getting along, but the younger one i would assume was raised with the older one and they've already lived together this long, would it be safe to keep them together or should I look for a different living arrangement for them, the only questionable thing I've seen so far is the younger one biting at the older one, but the older one will just sit there and deal with it so i don't know if that's an issue, also they are both females according to the previous owner. Any help is appreciated thanks so much
Hey just an update to anyone that might've seen this but they have now been separated, the smaller one is in a smaller tub now until I can find a good spot to put a bigger home for them, thank you everyone for the help