Need some advice regarding MBD

Riskette

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My cousin in law has a tortoise give to him by his older brother. A couple years ago. They had no idea how to truly take care of it. The tortoise now has I'm almost certain MBD. And I told them for months things they needed to do, and yet I almost feel like they didn't listen. At all. They did end up getting a heat lamp (that broke) and took him outside "sometimes". I bought them a calcium powder they didn't even open for weeks... Long story short they had to move and wasn't sure where they were going and I am in charge of the tortoise for the foreseeable future. I can NOT have this poor little guy keep sufferering. It's killing me. I have changed his diet to a more healthy one. I have been using a non phosphorus calcium power on it's food. It's been about a week and a half and the tortoise seems to be much more active. I'm still working on a new heating lamp /uvb lighting. My only concern as of now. Is his shell.... It's completely squishy.... And they told me he was even stepped on about 8months ago.... But it's moving around okay... Much better now than a couple weeks ago. I guess Im wanting to know how I can get the shell hard again? He is showing no signs of respiratory illness. His eyes are fine. The beak doesn't look over grown (also got a cuttle bone). I don't see any signs of pain or discomfort. And he does have access to a tiny amount of clean water every day... What am I supposed to do? I've owned red earned sliders in the past (now my ex's and is also in a poor situation now). And have never had shell issues like this aside from shell rot when I got him from petsmart that has long been cleared up for years.... Please help .I don't want this tortoise to die.

Attachments

• IMG_20190411_110221591.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190411_110213772.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 24

Reptilony

QC, CAN
To harden the shell it will just need good care, calcium rich diet and uvb...

Riskette

Arizona
Thank you I am working on it. I take him out to the yard 1-3hrs a day in a little circular enclosure until I can get something else figured out... I don't know how long I will have him so I honestly am not trying to invest too much. I'm not exactly in a position to invest into something that's not even mine. I just feel horrible .Id keep him forever if I could. And just buy everything for him and call it a day .._. Money is tight though you know?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
If this tortoise goes bake to your brother,I am afraid it will die if he does not change what he does. The tort would be better off with you. As you have said, you told him what he needs and your brother did not care enough to make changes or care for the tort.