Need some help in keeping Cuora trifisciata

kms899

Location (City and/or State)
UK/Hong Kong
I will be getting a Cuora trifisciata, I think it's about 1 1/2 months old, I already have a tank made for it, with a hangon trickle filter, heater and light, but decided to get one of those large plastic containers made for turtles, I think it looks better, and the turtle will probably prefer it over a tank.

What I need to know is more information, will a preset heater EHEIM thermopreset heater at 25c/77f be alright, and whiles I have the Zoomed T5 Ho 5.0 light for UVB, I can't seem to find information on how high I should place the light as so the turtle will get enough UVB, but not overly exposed. should I add a heat and sunlight as well. I also have a UV light in my filter will this be alright.

Last, In a 1-2 months time I want to add another baby Cuora trifisciata, will they be alright together.

This is what should arrive in the next few days.
TB20qGMdh9YBuNjy0FfXXXIsVXa_!!1643362874.jpg

thanks

Last edited:

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Congratulations. You will love them. They are personable and quite hardy.

At that age they are completely aquatic, leaving the water only to bask. I don't use a water heater (with any of my SE Asian species). I keep the ambient room temp @ 78F. I use a 100w Zoomed UVB Powersun kept at a distance of 304mm from their basking logs/areas. But I do know people that have never used any UVB on their trifasciata's for years with no ill results. I prefer to use it. Also, if not already, get them going on Mazuri or Zoomed aquatic turtle food as the staple of their diet. It contains the much needed proteins and vitamins to assure healthy growth.

I keep my trifaciatas separate. They're aggressive little guys. I keep the water only deep enough to cover their shells when they are that young. I don't really like the "turtle box" you're going with. All you need is a poly sweater box or a 20 gal long aquarium for that age.

kms899

UK/Hong Kong
The turtle box is really cheap at about USD 21 for it size, I will rotate using the glass aquarium after while to see which enclosure the turtle will prefer, and just go with the flow, In Hong Kong most of the time the heater shouldn't switch on, my room is like 78f or 26c and the Eheim heater is preset at 25c, but will probably need it when it's cold. since I do have the zoomed T5 HO 5.0 tube light, I will use it, what will suggest the height be, will 8 inch be alright from the light to the top of the basking area or turtle shell, the T5 isn't as powerful as the Powersun, if I'm guessing correctly it's a mercury vapor bulb.

As for the food, I will get a both Mazuri and the tetra reptomin, I was told they both contain vitamin D3 for the shells and bones. I have trust in these brand, my chinchilla also eats Mazuri.

Anymore information or tip, you can share, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks for the reply.

kms899

UK/Hong Kong
Need your recommendation, would you pay USD 2300 for a 2.5 inch or 4 inch Cuora trifisciata, both legal with CITES certificate.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Need your recommendation, would you pay USD 2300 for a 2.5 inch or 4 inch Cuora trifisciata, both legal with CITES certificate.

Personally, no. 2.5" go for about $1200 and 4" for around $1800-$2000. Being that this is such a critically endangered species, prices can rise at anytime.

kms899

UK/Hong Kong
Apparently Hong Kong prices do change from shop to shop, the 2.5 inch one are new born and this year stock, sell for about USD 1600, the USD 660 is for the Certificate, the certificate has no set price and can be made up, and require a change in ownership from shop to my name. So It is a inflated price, although If I wanted just the turtle without the certificate, it's only USD 980 from elsewhere, but this place is the most trust worthily, but expensive and comes highly recommendated, and this shop allow me to confirm if the certificate is it's a legitmate before purchase.

The certificate is a number code, which link to details of the turtle and has be confirmed by the HKACFD.

The 4 inch one is about 1.5 year olds and already comes with the certificate at USD 2300.

Anyway I will buy one either November 8 or November 25, what will you go for even at the high price, big or small.

thank

kms899

UK/Hong Kong
Can you help confirm this for me, does the Cuora trifisciata have on it's back foot 4 or 5 claws, I think I saw 4 on many Cuora trifisciata, this photo has I think 5, but it's not sure.IMG-20181031-WA0001.jpg

kms899

UK/Hong Kong
I want to get another turtle, I was given a choice of these four, which will you consider. I'm more lean towards the first photo. any advice.

IMG-20181204-WA0001.jpg IMG-20181204-WA0003.jpg IMG-20181204-WA0006.jpg IMG-20181204-WA0008.jpg

kms899

UK/Hong Kong
Thanks, I was just really asking about the coloration of the shell.
I hope to get another sometime next week.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Can you help confirm this for me, does the Cuora trifisciata have on it's back foot 4 or 5 claws, I think I saw 4 on many Cuora trifisciata, this photo has I think 5, but it's not sure.View attachment 255736
From the picture, I can see why there's a question regarding how many toes this turtle has on its back foot. I cannot tell for certain from the photo. However, my educated guess is 4 claws.

The reasoning behind my guess (4 claws) is actually based on the back feet of my (American) three-striped mud turtles, who have similar webbed feet. It is like they have a "false" or "pseudo" fifth (5th) claw, but it does not end in a claw. It looks like there should be a claw there, but there is not a claw there.

I hope that makes sense. If that is not the case - if the turtle does indeed have 5 claws on its back foot - please share. I would be very interested to know and learn.

I would love to work with this species, but that is several years into the future.

kms899

UK/Hong Kong
From the picture, I can see why there's a question regarding how many toes this turtle has on its back foot. I cannot tell for certain from the photo. However, my educated guess is 4 claws.

The reasoning behind my guess (4 claws) is actually based on the back feet of my (American) three-striped mud turtles, who have similar webbed feet. It is like they have a "false" or "pseudo" fifth (5th) claw, but it does not end in a claw. It looks like there should be a claw there, but there is not a claw there.

I hope that makes sense. If that is not the case - if the turtle does indeed have 5 claws on its back foot - please share. I would be very interested to know and learn.

I would love to work with this species, but that is several years into the future.
Thanks for the reply, I actually found the answer, the photo, show what seems to be a claw is just the scale on the foot, I didn't buy the one in the photo, as you probably can see the shell on it has extra scutes, I have this one. But i'm considering getting another next week, either one of them from the photos posted just a few post up.

IMG_20181106_082338.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow, these are absolutely gorgeous turtles! I don't know them, can I see the plastron?

kms899

UK/Hong Kong
Wow, these are absolutely gorgeous turtles! I don't know them, can I see the plastron?

These are some of the turtles the seller posted for me to choose, as I will be getting another one. I like the first one.

IMG-20181204-WA0001.jpg
27y1urq.jpg

IMG-20181204-WA0003.jpg
21evpn8.jpg

IMG-20181204-WA0006.jpg
2eeyhja.jpg

IMG-20181204-WA0008.jpg
2ps1ycg.jpg

This is mine C.Trifasciata, but I can't find the photo of it's plastron, I will try to take some photo.

IMG_20181106_082338.jpg

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica